it's over

Later that night, at around 1:15am, Emily was laying with her head on her boyfriends chest as the brunette ran his hands through her hair to comfort her, they hadn't really talked since they got home.  They got back to Emily's apartment, she took a shower, then he did, then they went straight to bed, a minimum of 20 words were shared within the hour or two, yet neither of them wanted to break the ice although it was running thin.

                "I'm not sad that my dads facing charges, I'm not even sad that he's going to jail. Does that make me a bad person?" She closed her eyes and spoke quietly.  Jay felt her breath against his skin and opened his eyes, "not at all, what he put you through was tough em. He doesn't deserve your forgiveness..." he spoke quietly back.  Emily let out a heavy sigh and moved her head up so she could see his face, "I remember when he used to take me to the park when I was a kid, he would push me on the swings until he pushed me too high, then I'd beg for him to get me off, but he never did. He said it was only the weak who backed out when things got scary..." she started.  Jay opened his eyes and looked down at her.

                  "I guess he should've listened to his own words huh?" She smiled weakly.  He smiled back, "you know, I really do wish things were different, that he was normal and everything worked out like it was supposed to. But where would that have left me? Nothing would've been the same. I wouldn't have joined the navy, the academy, and I most definitely, wouldn't have met you..." she pointed her finger on his chest.  He took a few seconds before smiling slightly, "the world works in weird ways em, but everything happens for a reason and I couldn't imagine life without you, I really couldn't..." he took her hand and brought it up to his lips.

                "Dwelling on the past does nobody any good, you just gotta focus on what's in front of you" he tilted his head to meet her gaze.  She let out a small chuckle, "which is you" she raised her eyebrows.  He sarcastically gasped, "of course it's me, and the unit, and what your mom would've wanted..." he turned more serious towards the end.  She frowned, "which is?" She sat up a little bit.  He waited for a few seconds before smiling, "for you to be happy, so that means no more worrying about this whole situation, some people just can't be helped em, and your dad just happens to be one of them" he kissed the back of her hand again.

                  She smiled as she watched him care for her, "when did you get so wise?" She rested her chin back down on his chest.  He laughed and smiled, "since I met you" he nodded.  She smiled back before he planted a gentle yet caring kiss on her head.  She smiled back and closed her eyes, she feels safe here.  Jay moved down so his head was resting on the pillow and pulled her closer, "it's over" he whispered, "you can breath" he smiled against her hair.  She let out a small laugh before relaxing, it's over, she can breath...