i could kill you

*one week later*

"Halstead, around the back" hank spoke through his radio as he situated himself at the front of the house.  The unit was a total of two members down today, both Emily and Kevin were testifying in court for a case they worked a few days back, and hank likes his unit to know what they'd doing so the only person he used to fill in was a patrol officer from downstairs.  Vanessa has a partner now, yet jay doesn't, so he's flying solo despite the dangers of it, but he doesn't care, he can handle himself.

"There's movement on the east side window, top floor" Kim spoke through the ear piece. Jay looked up to indeed see that there was a kid trying to get his attention. He slowly lowered his gun and put his finger up to his lips in attempts to tell the kid to shush, luckily the kid was about 12 so he understood what jay was trying to tell him. Jay nodded thankfully and brought his gun back up to the back door, suddenly it flew open and out ran another kid who looked to be injured, "hey bud, it's okay, c'mon..." he helped the kid, he was no older than 7. Jay looked around and saw Kim stood behind the trash cans so he waved her over and exchanged hands so she could get the kid to a medic.

"Jay there's two offenders moving towards the back of the house, stay alert, backups on the way" hank added through the radio which brought jay back into reality. Both he and Adam, who had just joined jay at the back of the house, held their guns up to the back door, but that wasn't necessarily what they needed to watch out for...

Suddenly and surprisingly, a quick round of bullets were fired from the shed behind them, the casings were scattered everywhere but no one knew what was truly going on until adam started firing back at the shed. He must've hit the shooter since the bullets soon stopped, "jay, you good?" Adam looked around as hank ran to the back of the house. Jay groaned and fell to the floor, "argh, I don't think it went through..." he screwed his eyes shut. Hank slid to the floor and undone jays bullet proof vest, "it didn't go through but it looks nasty, get a medic to take a look" he undone jays shirt and widened his eyes at the huge bruise forming on his side.

~~~~~~~~

                 "The jury hear by finds the defendant, guilty on three counts of second degree murder..." the judge declared and slammed the hammer down onto the plaque.  There was a weight lifted off of everyone's shoulders, the courtroom felt more bearable and the mood seemed happier now that verdict was reached.  Emily turned her head to the side to see Kevin smiling at her, "let's get outta here" Kevin nodded and stood up, "don't have to tell me twice" she laughed and grabbed her purse. Once the pair had stepped foot outside, Emily's phone rang, "one sec" she pulled it out and stepped out of the way to let people past whilst she answered her phone.
Taylor: "Kim?"
Kim: "hey, don't panic but jays at med"
Taylor: "med? is he okay? What happened?"
Kim: "woah, slow down em, he got shot..."
Taylor: "shot?! Oh god..."
Kim: "no no no, he's okay, it didn't go through, his vest blocked the bullet but he was having a hard time breathing so he's getting it checked out in case"
Taylor: "oh thank god, phew, okay, I'll be there in 10. Thanks Kim"
Kim: "no problem, oh, and by the way...he's pretty moody"
Taylor: "moody? Great..."
Kim: "yeah, good luck with that. Will had to take his blood"
Taylor: "well I wouldn't expect anything less"

                   "Hey, I gotta get to med. Jays been shot" Emily ran back over to Kevin, she can run in heels, she deserves a medal for that.  Kevin's eyes widened, "what? Is he okay? C'mon I'll take you" he shook his head, she smiled thankfully since she came by taxi in case they had drinks to celebrate afterwards but unfortunately they didn't, they started walking towards Kevin's car.  "Kim said the bullet didn't go through, his vest saved him, but he was having trouble breathing so he's getting it checked out just in case" she smiled weakly, she was still worried about him even if he was fine.

                 "Uh oh, the man hates needles huh?" Kevin smiled as they got into his car.  She laughed and nodded, "Kim said he's in a mood because Will had to take bloods" she smiled.  Kevin laughed and shook his head, "typical Halstead" he rolled his eyes playfully, she laughed too as he began driving.

"Hey, Apparently jays here?" Emily walked up to Maggie in the front of the ED. Maggie smiled, "treatment 4" she nodded and waved her off, "thanks" Emily smiled then walked off to go find jay. She appeared in his doorway, "I could kill you" she laughed, jay looked up from being stroppy, "I love you too" he smiled. She sighed and sat down next to him, "I thought you were dead" she looked at him sternly, "not yet, there's plenty of time to die later" he smirked. She lightly slapped his arm, "but really, I'm fine, wills just overreacting" he huffed. She smiled but shook her head, she's heard that before.

"I rarely see you in suits..." he smirked, she rolled her eyes, "well you needn't get used to it, it's uncomfortable" she smiled. He smiled back, "I like it" he shrugged. She laughed but rolled her eyes, "what did Will say? Is everything fine?" She nodded. He sighed, "yeah I'm good as gold, he's fetching me the discharge papers now" he nodded. She smiled thankfully, "how'd the hearing go?" He sat up. She smiled, "Justin is served" she sighed deeply, he nodded and squeezed her hand, "told you it would work out" he winked. She smiled back, he's always right...