𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

Women were created to fit an image sculpted by the men that came before them

Women were created to fit an image sculpted by the men that came before them. Nearly every girl became aware of that, especially in their prime. They also understood the fragility of a reputation nurtured since their first days. Some didn't care, creating a life the way they wanted to. Others held onto it like a weapon they otherwise couldn't possess.

"Well, I sure hope you calmed down enough to go to school."

Although sometimes, the dismantling of an image can be out of capable hands but not far off to be fixed. In any case, Virginia Curtis shot Darry a glare, her comb freezing in the locks of hair that preserved the gentle curl from the night before. It was the first day back to school after winter break and the new year had only felt more infuriating with her brother's snide commentary.

"I feel perfectly fine," she assured, a hint of sarcasm seeping through her tone. She took the plate of breakfast he handed her and was just about to walk off before he had her juggle two more for Sodapop and Ponyboy chatting with some of the boys in the living room.

Darry frowned, his cold glass eyes hardening. "I mean it, Bluebell, you better watch that temper of yours."

Clenching her jaw, Virginia spun around and stormed out of the kitchen, struggling to hold the plates in balance but not injure her healing pinky. As she lowered the food in front of her other brothers, they clattered, only proving their suspicions of the tempest raging inside her.

"Easy there, Raphaela," Ponyboy mumbled.

Her scowl had been directed to him now and unwittingly to Dallas Winston who entered the house with Johnny Cade following him like a lost puppy. He mumbled something to Steve who slapped his shoulder in greeting. She sat the farthest away from the rest of the boys, her eyes flitting over to the spinet she never found time to play anymore. The feeling of her fingers pressing the cold ivory keys, the sound of chords relishing her ears... she missed it.

Then, Steve's voice. "Heard Sarah Jane ain't goin' to school."

"Gosh, I wouldn't either." That was Ponyboy, unsurprisingly. He's always had a fondness for women, though shy towards the sophisticated ones. All that can quickly go to waste as soon as there's a bit of impropriety.

"She's just another Soc, she'll jump back soon enough. Least she ain't gotta worry 'bout findin' a boyfriend," Two-Bit howled.

Virginia suddenly shook her head, voice gentle yet firm. "This is just rich. Did all of you forget I had the same problem a few months ago?"

All eyes were on her now, quiet until Steve scoffed. "It ain't the same thing, Blue. Stop speakin' nonsense."

"Yeah, what happened with those two is... different." Sodapop shrugged, fixing the button to his jeans. He received his DX shirt from Darry who also stood there, eyes narrowed on her.