𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Virginia Curtis always thought Dallas Winston hated her

Virginia Curtis always thought Dallas Winston hated her. She believed that from the moment they first met and she accidentally called him 'Houston' and remarked that living in New York must have been the greatest time of his life.

That was embarrassing when she came to realize it. But it wouldn't even come close to the judgmental or lecherous stares from the students eating in the cafeteria or heading out to the Dairy Queen for lunch. Unable to bear it, she had to force Two-Bit to drive her over to the nearest U-Tote-M to get her M&Ms— which only upset her more.

"Well, way to be Miss Popular," Two-Bit chuckled. He kicked his monk shoe out in front of him and leaned against the rickety telephone box near the entrance, raising his candy bar up to his mouth.

"That ain't funny," Virginia mumbled from her seat on an old milk crate covered in a sheet of musty cardboard. She looked up from the color-coded patterns of M&Ms she arranged on top of her sketchbook. "I need more."

"If you're makin' pictures outta 'em, what's the point?" he asked, frowning. "I ain't got a money tree or nothin'."

"Get a job." She dug her brows together and scowled, pouting in her empty candy bag.

"Kid, it's just a nasty bit of gossip. It'll blow by tomorrow. I don't think Ponyboy knows," Two-Bit assured. He crumpled up the candy wrapper and quickly flicked it the ground before the store clerk could notice.

"More candy."

"Here," Two-Bit strolled over and dropped a dime on top of the crate, receiving a stare of disbelief from the girl to which he raised his hands in defense.

"Hey, got a sweet girl waitin' for me. We're ditching biology."

"Big deal," Virginia muttered, completely detached. She wrapped her fingers over the shiny dime and watched Two-Bit leave the store with an eager, carefree jazz in his step.

Once he was out of her vision, Virginia propped up her head on her fist. She moved around a few pieces of candy from the flower she was making so the purple and red stayed away from each other.

"I've been looking for you everywhere."

Virginia looked up from her candy in initial uninterest but her head shot up from her hand at surprise. Lo and behold, her extraordinary phenomenon stood there with his fidgety hands held at his sides and his eyes struggling to meet her own.

"What the hell do you want?" Virginia asked quietly. She circled her candy with her forearm and brushed it towards her, messing up the picture in a quick motion.

"Here for another apology, I guess," Sam Gardner answered with a strained and nervous chuckle. There was a crinkle in his nose as he sighed. "I didn't mean for my friends to-"

Virginia suddenly stood up and crossed her arms over her chest, her grassy eyes locking with Sam's ocean ones. She saw sadness and fear, maybe even hope. But that didn't cloud her brewing frustration.