𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚢

Any sweeping love story would be as painful as it was blessed

Any sweeping love story would be as painful as it was blessed. Amongst fighting and the blurry red haze of tears would be the tenderest of kisses and the flutters of wings stirring in a stomach. Have a happy ending in your sights, her mother would say. But ensure a ceaseless appetite for excitement.

"My, you've had quite an adventure, Virginia."

The soft-eyed girl gazed admirably at her former teacher. Ms. Tanner's hair had thinned slightly, curling gently at the lobes of her ears. The twinkle of her eyes never dulled. Within the golden blonde of her locks shimmered pearl cluster earrings that matched the simple necklace that decorated her liver-spotted neck.

"New York looks ever so wonderful on you, Ms. Tanner, but Tulsa energizes you completely," Virginia complimented. Her fingers stuck together with lemon curd and she delicately plucked a handkerchief embroidered with names. It was a square of cotton she kept in her pocket and so, she wanted to keep her loved ones with her as well.

"I admit, it feels good to be back," Ms. Tanner chuckled, a bubbly sound of bliss. She gazed around her prize pupil's home and the enigmatic beauty of it. While the colors of evergreen and mahogany were bold and innovative against hues of peach, they matched as well as the couple who owned the walls the colors adorned.

Virginia's delightful House of Dreams was, at last, perfected. She had not allowed a single doily of lace to be set within three feet of her property. Instead of homely, timeless charms and knickknacks, she had acquired dried flowers and lovely scraps of words that she found memorable. The curtains were a translucent blue, rustling softly in the window that they kept open as often as they could. Her embroidery work was laid abandoned on the swooping oak table in front of a spindly sofa.

The naked lemon tree outside sang sweet melodies of hope.

Of course, with all that she had accomplished and set out to achieve in her life, there was never a more appropriate time for her dear mentor to visit. Arriving on the cusp of evenfall, Virginia had scarcely wrangled a few grades on art criticism quizzes from her freshman class. Her papers were still scattered on the small dinner table, weighed down by a red pen and the pair of readings glasses Sodapop had not-so-subtly nudged in her direction. Though the insinuation of her vision troubles warranted a quick clout on the ear, Virginia had to admit the spectacles were handy for the work of late.

Ms. Tanner's arrival was spontaneous in nature, otherwise, Virginia would have called or sent a letter ensuring her new address. Instead, her former teacher had first marched up the porch of the Curtis home, much to Virginia's unease. Ms. Tanner claimed Darry's warm deference hardened slightly and his curt words sent her down the road to where his sister now lodged.

She had just arrived from the school while the sky was darkening from crisp blue to somber black and purple, a lingering touch of the tempestuous winter that awaited them. Dallas still had yet to arrive from his shift.