𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

If there was one thing Virginia Curtis hated, it was going to bed with wet hair

If there was one thing Virginia Curtis hated, it was going to bed with wet hair. Her brothers weren't sure why but she absolutely despised it.

So she paced around her room, rubbing her wet hair smelling fresh of shampoo and trying to get it as dry as she could. Taking a quick peek at the small clock on the ledge above her bed, she grumbled at how late it was and wished she could've been asleep already. Virginia made note of the early shards of smoky glass and ashes from her unfortunate accident this morning, tossing a rag splotched with many colors on top of it.

It would be one thing for her to accidentally step on it and a whole other for Darry to find it.

The towel was already wet and Virginia tossed it onto her desk, shaking out her hair so it didn't clump together. She glanced at the window and walked over, hooking her fingers under the latch and pushing it up. It was a little difficult like always but she finally managed to open it fully.

Sighing, she dangled her head out the window, using her fingers to comb through her hair as it waved gently in the breeze. It wasn't as cold as some other nights and she was grateful for that. Maybe she could go to sleep within ten minutes if the air did its job.

Then, there was a rap at her door. Judging by how firm and curt it was, Virginia deduced it was Darry.

"Yeah," she called, scrunching out droplets of water from her hair.

"Bluebell, we need- get your head back inside and close that window right now."

And for the second time today, she pulled her head back in too early and banged it on the frame, hearing an unsatisfactory clatter of glass against wood. Rubbing her head, she looked at Darry who stood at her doorway with his arms folded across his broad chest and angry frown on his face.

"You tryin' to get yourself sick?" he muttered, closing the door behind him. He shook his head when she smiled sheepishly.

Virginia plucked a comb off her vanity and begin running it through the bottom of her soaking hair. "Is this gonna be a nightly thing?"

"You know I remember telling you to stay away from Dallas," he spoke, ignoring her quip. His voice was all serious now with no cracks for humor.

She shrugged and scrunched her hair with the towel but refused to let her calm expression break. "I tried, Dar. He just came. Sodapop can't keep his trap shut, that's the problem..."

Hearing silence, Virginia looked up to him curiously and was a bit taken aback by his concerned face. He leaned against her doorway and folded his arms across his chest, kicking his foot out awkwardly.