𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

When Virginia owed people a favor, she usually hoped they would let her off because of who she was

When Virginia owed people a favor, she usually hoped they would let her off because of who she was. But not Dallas Winston. There was no hope there but regardless, she couldn't stop avoiding him the next few days. And Sam.

"What're you doin'?"

Virginia nearly jumped back in fright at the bottom of the stairs when she heard Ponyboy's question. She noted his puzzled expression and shrugged, looking around for something interesting to engage her thoughts.

"I heard yelling."

"Darry's back. It's Tim outside," Ponyboy offered cluelessly and tilted his head towards the living room she was spying on.

"Tim's here?" she asked curiously.

"Shoot, surprised you didn't hear him hacked off down the block. He's gettin' on Darry's last nerve. Heard he got into a street race with some Soc guys but the cops arrested him and let the other guys go," Ponyboy explained, chewing his lower lip. "Then Tim went on to their house and jumped 'em."

He looked upset, as Virginia deduced from the small crinkle in his forehead and how he restlessly tapped his fingers on the book he was carrying. She didn't know why though. It wasn't uncommon for police officers to catch every greaser in the wrong while letting the Socs get off with a slap on the wrist.

"He called for a fight?" Virginia guessed.

"He wants Darry n' Soda to show up," Ponyboy muttered, shrugging. "Maybe me too."

"Yeah," Virginia scoffed and pushed his head. "You ain't goin' out."

"Dammit, Darry, man, you gotta listen to me!"

Virginia's shoulders tensed when she heard Tim's booming voice. She peered outside the window and spotted the dark, greased back hair of the oldest Shepard.

"You gotta be with us man," Tim argued as he leaned against Darry's pickup truck stacked with old ladders and building materials.

"I can't do it. I told you, Tim, I'm not gonna be there," Darry replied, shaking his head as he lifted toolboxes onto the sunbaked porch.

"Man, they jumped your sister at the store! Then Dally when he got in. What are you gonna do about it!" Tim shouted, feeling his anger bubble up.

Virginia felt her teeth clench in frustration and the excuses Tim made. How dare he use her plight as an incentive? She didn't need anyone to come to her rescue and she realized now that this would not go away. After all, small towns have big memories.

Both young men barged into the house, Tim right at Darry's feet and setting down the box he was helping bring in. Virginia and Ponyboy quickly ducked up the first few stairs, the former tripping and falling on the damned step that never got fixed.

"I told you, the state is watching every move I make," Darry reasoned as he took off the flannel over his white muscle tee.

"It's at the ol' warehouse, Darry. You gotta be there," Tim persisted, sitting at the dining table and propping his leg up comfortably.