𝚃𝙷𝙴 𝙻𝙴𝚃𝚃𝙴𝚁𝚂

Tokens of love, family, and friendship revealed

PONYBOY CURTIS:

Darry told me to write something for you. Says I'll have the best one out of all of us because I'm smart next to you. I didn't realize how much I was going to miss you until you were leaving. You've always been there for me, but now you're looking out for yourself and what you want. You're not so tuff, Blue, but you're one of the strongest folks I know. You never needed anyone to protect you, and I'm sure you'll be fine in college.

Draw a lot of pictures for me okay? Call us whenever you can, write letters about everything you do, even the fancy food you're gonna eat in Europe. Things are sure going to be different around here without you. Quiet but boring.

As I'm sitting here, writing this letter for you, I remember the time when you walked eighth miles to find a toy I left in the train when we were coming back from Comanche. Darry and Soda were at school but you left, found your own directions and walked a whole eight miles to get my toy and time the trains coming and going. I always knew from then on you can do whatever you set your mind to. You aren't meant to be stuck on the Northside, Blue. I'm glad you're getting out.

Write as much as you can and we'll be missing you until you come back.

Love,
Ponyboy Curtis

DARREL CURTIS:

If you're reading this, then you're far from home, settled into college in your new city. I didn't really think this day would come. I can't imagine you not being a holler away and, Lord, I'm probably missing you right now. But I couldn't be prouder of you. I mean that. You've been through more than most kids your age, but you've kept your head up and your hard work has paid off. I know I haven't made it easy for you, but if everything I did has prepared you for your new life in New York, then I'd do it again twice.

Europe, kid. I remember how much you wanted to go since you were little. Says a lot about how far you can go when you put your head to what you want.

You're smarter than I ever was. You were never the kid to not get along with people so don't be worried about making friends. You're a great kid, and I know that will be easy. Just don't fall in with the wrong crowd. If I know you, I know there will be days where you miss us back home, but don't worry about Soda, Pony, and me. We're only a phone call away. I know you'll want to pick up the telephone and call us to hear Soda's voice or maybe even get some advice from me. I hope you know we'll always be here for you.

Keep your head up, don't do anything stupid, and focus on your studies. Call us if you need anything. And have fun. You've earned it. And mom, dad, and Sam would want you to.

Darrel Curtis

SODAPOP CURTIS:

Darry told me to write a letter to you. He told me to write down anything I'd want you to know once you move to New York. You're the only kid that would have me crying before I've even started writing.

I don't know where to begin, Bluebell. I'm gonna miss seeing you every single day, that's for sure. Hell, I'll even miss you and Pony and Darry arguing. I don't think I know how I'll get those two to get along without you here for a few months, but we're so proud of you.

If anything good came out of losing mom and dad, it was the four of us becoming so close. That's how I see it. I noticed you took the picture of them from the piano. I'm glad you have it. They'd be real proud of you, too. I hope you know that, Bluie.

Darry told me to give you some advice, but you don't want advice from me. You know what to do. If any one of us was going to go to college, it was going to be you first and you always knew it even if other people didn't think so. I look up to you for going off and making something of yourself no matter what folks said. I know I couldn't.

Make sure you find yourself some good friends. One of those cool New York types, not the kind of hoods we have back home. If I know you, you'll find them with their heads in a book or in the clouds. Call me if you ever need advice. I can't promise you it'll be worth taking, though.

Love,
Sodapop Curtis

TWO-BIT MATHEWS:

If you're reading this, then you survived the plane ride to New York. Did you get sick? You owe me a dollar if you did and I'll hold you to it.

Anyway, I have some wisdom to give to you. This is golden advice, so don't go around sharing it with just anyone.

First, don't pull a blade on your new roommate. You may be thinking, "Two-Bit, I didn't bring a blade". Check the box with your paintbrushes. Consider it a gift to you from me.

Second, go to class. I hear you can graduate in less than six years that way.

Third, drink some water with your alcohol and you'll never be hungover. Take it from me.

Oh, also, liquor before beer every time. You can only make that mistake once so best save yourself some trouble.

I can't wait to see you. Don't go and become a famous artist who lives in the woods or something on us or nothing. Can you bring me back a t-shirt or fancy souvenir from New York or Italy?

Well, that's all I got. You know where to find me.

Your pal,
Two Bit

STEVE RANDLE:

Soda made me write this. I don't got any advice for you except don't go and get yourself killed doing something dumb. We can't come and rescue you all the way from here. And let me know how the hot dogs and girls are.

Steve

JOHNNY CADE:

Virginia,

I don't know where to begin. I was surprised Darry asked me for a letter I didn't think I had anything useful to say to you. You're real lucky for getting out you know? I wonder what it'd be like to go somewhere as magical as Europe. Dally's told me enough about New York that I don't ever want to go there. Still tell me how everything rolls?

I owe you a lot. You taught me to see the world in more colors than one. I'm gonna miss you a lot Blue but I know you'll be just fine. You'll be doing everything you ever wanted. So that's good enough for me.

I guess I'll have to speak on Dally's behalf. I tried to get him to write something even Ponyboy asked but he threatened to beat the tar outta us if we asked him again. I just think he's scared to let you go. He loves you a lot though he don't show it all the time. Maybe that's why he don't want to say nothing. So here's goodbye from Dally. Don't worry I'll make sure he won't get in no trouble.

Have fun, Virginia. Write back as soon as you can because I want to know everything. Draw me another picture about that fountain thing in Rome, would you?

Love,
Johnnycake

____

so....... i lied. sorta.

but surprise!!

chapter fifty was the last "real" chapter of part two but i wanted to write this little filler to reveal what the boys had written for virginia in those envelopes and sorta foreshadowed earlier when ponyboy was writing at the dinner table

i hope you enjoyed this little snippet and i'll see y'all in part three :)

- geena