𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

Virginia loved visiting Sodapop at work on the weekends despite her reputation as his lunch lady

Most weekends, she'd spend a good few hours with her brother even past his break until Steve made her go home. Usually, she'd catch up with Johnny soon enough, giving her a good enough reason to leave because she loved their talks and he seemed to as well.

She could see her brother at one of the gas pumps, waving at a customer in a Ford before it drove off. With one swipe of the back of his hand, he wiped off the sweat on his forehead.

"Soda!" she called out the window, waving at him furiously. Darry barely stopped the car before she cranked open the door and hopped out with her sunflower bag in hand. Steve ran behind her, fixing his cap on and slapping Soda's shoulder in a rush to clock in for his shift.

Darry rolled down the window. He squinted amid the burning sunlight "Don't you two get in any trouble, you understand?"

"Your lunch is in the backseat! Bye, Darry!" Virginia shouted. He pointed at her and curled his finger in, beckoning her.

Soda and Ponyboy snickered at the chance of her getting into trouble and Blue rolled her eyes, jogging over to the driver seat window.

"Bluebell, I want you to stay away from Dallas tonight, understand? If you three need a ride, you call me," he ordered.

There was no hesitation in his voice nor doubt on his face but he was expecting a rebuttal. If there was one thing Darrel Curtis knew about his little sister, it was her natural ability to question every single rule or command he tried to set in the house.

"Alright, Darry."

He froze, taken aback by her compliance. Her face was nothing but serious and Darry knew she could understand his good reasoning to his request just by the look in her eyes. He nodded slowly.

"That's a good girl. Don't stay out too late," he reminded. "Say hi to Johnny for me."

Virginia nodded and got on the tip of her toes to quickly kiss Darry's cheek. "Don't throw out your back."

When he drove away and she trudged back, Sodapop and Ponyboy stared at her expectantly.

"What'd he say?" Pony asked curiously.

"Nothin'," Virginia said nonchalantly. "Just don't stay out too late. Call if we need anything."

Soda slung his arms around his little brother and sister, choosing to ignore whatever Darry said much to Ponyboy's interest.

"How was your homework with Darry?" he teased, ruffling Ponyboy's hair.

"Aw, Soda, come on," he complained, trying to comb his hair properly with his fingers.

Virginia opened her bag and brought out his bag lunch, looking at him knowingly. Soda smiled and briefly kissed her head.

"Cake?" he asked, hope evident on his face.