𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

Virginia didn't know how to be a girlfriend

Virginia didn't know how to be a girlfriend. Or, if she even was a girlfriend. She liked to assume she was. It made her feel wanted and gave her a sense of egotistical superiority. Of course, she kept it to herself.

"What's he like?" Ponyboy asked quietly. He fiddled with his fingers, picking away a painful hangnail.

Although Virginia planned to hide her relationship from her brothers until Sam mustered up the courage to make the house call, the second she got home, she spilled all of her secrets to Ponyboy who was innocently doing his English homework on the couch with a random cartoon playing in the background. However, Ponyboy didn't register it until the next few days, even avoiding any conversation of the sort with his sister until that day.

"He's great," Virginia mumbled, feeling awkward.

She shrugged and set down the old metal tongs on a clean rag. She concentrated on the crackling sounds of bacon frying on the pan in hopes he would leave their touchy subject well alone.

"Great," Ponyboy echoed to himself and scrubbed a dirty bowl in the sink. He dug his brows together in bewilderment. "Great, how?"

Virginia stifled an eye roll as she lowered a pot of water onto the stove burner. The boy asked too many questions but she could sympathize with his confusion. This was the most puzzling thing she's ever done. She would make do with simple questions though and not a lecture from Darry or Soda or any of the gang.

"He's good-looking, smart, ambitious, he has a good family..."

"Big deal. So he's got it all?" he asked dryly.

"He's attentive, he's kind..." Virginia trailed off, thinking about that last trait and smiling down at the bacon, "He's so incredibly kind."

"Ain't he your art teacher's kid?"

"Stop, I don't wanna think about tellin' her," she groaned and carefully separated bacon on three different plates.

"Oh, Darry's not here," Ponyboy reminded.

"He got out early?"

Her little brother shrugged. "Wanted to get some work done to make up for the lost time."

"He didn't get coffee," Virginia remarked, gazing at the small glass pot that was left untouched. It seemed like Darry made just enough for the day but didn't have time to drink it.

"Hey, with Sam at your side, who needs college, right?" Ponyboy joked, carrying the plate of bacon and fresh eggs.

Ouch.

Virginia's content expression faltered and she stared after her brother with confusion. "What did you say?"

Ponyboy looked back at her and he suddenly gulped, wondering where Soda had gone off to. He lowered the plate of food onto the table and shrugged awkwardly.