𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

So often was her desire pursued, Virginia was certain it would put her in harm's way one day or another

So often was her desire pursued, Virginia was certain it would put her in harm's way one day or another. Many had warned her of the consequences of dreaming beyond bitter reality but the pounding of her heart against her chest was too loud for her to ignore.

For now, looking Darry in the eye to deliver him the most anticipated news that was kept mostly secret from his keen ear for days made Virginia's heart thunder. She could hear her blood rushing in her ears as he looked at her. Lines of weariness were marked around the corners of his eyes and mouth, his lips pressed in a grim, disappointed frown.

"I thought you were better than this."

The words cut into Virginia deeper than they should've. It was a fresh scar added to the others. Her eyes darted to Sodapop who was staring at the remarkably clean table they have all gathered around. He sat opposite Ponyboy who seemed like he was struggling to keep a lid on his temper. Her little brother hated when Darry would yell at her or Sodapop— especially now. They couldn't find it in themselves to leave the second Darry got home, red in the face and fuming at the news he happened to snidely hear from Mr. Reed himself at the bank. Virginia didn't know what happened or what was said. Whatever it was stuck with Darry and in that haunted glint in his eyes.

"I had to hear from Lawrence Reed himself that you embarrassed Thomas in front of him and his wife?!" He was frustrated—angry— and exhausted. She felt a pang of guilt before her brooding temper was inches away from bursting through her patient demeanor.

"Embarrassed? I used my voice and I made a decision that was disclosed in private," Virginia protested calmly. "The Reeds should know whom to blame for their manner in handling my choice."

"Private, huh?" Darry scoffed derisively. "Mrs. Reed was right upset. She said you ain't got an interest in raising a home with her son. Virginia, this ain't a game no more. This is real life." His face softened for a splintered second. "Mom and Dad wanted you married by twenty-one. You're twenty-three."

The mention of their parents made everyone fall into a somber still. For a second, the fight seemed like it would be over but Virginia pulled her lips into a frown. She was quiet as well. Her silence would have amounted to the same as anything she could say to defend herself. That much Virginia knew and was wise about.

"He's tempered," Darry spoke carefully. "He wouldn't have laid a hand on you."

"Is that all there is to a marriage?" she suddenly fired back. "The feeling of safety with my own husband? Is that something I must fear would be compromised? That is no marriage, Darry. That's an economic trade."

"Oh, for the love of—"

"She's right, okay?" Ponyboy snapped. The youngest Curtis had been crushing his own fingers from staying quiet.

"Shut up, boy!" Darry warned. He directed his attention back to Virginia, fired up even more if it was possible. "We're gonna make this right, you hear me? You're fortunate that he still shows interest in you."