𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢

Though there was much about her current time that disappointed and angered her, Virginia must give credit where credit was due

Though there was much about her current time that disappointed and angered her, Virginia must give credit where credit was due. The usually ordinary and sweat-soaked gymnasium was polished, with paper streamers dangling from the ceiling tiles.

Though it seemed like her evening's activities would be to smell teens' punch cups and hunt for anyone who would sneak in alcohol, Virginia was determined to have a good time.

But as she walked through the doors of the high school gym, she felt a wave of nostalgia wash over her. Skirts swished, the scent of hairspray and Brylcreem was thick in the air as bodies sashayed and twirled beneath the soft lights. The last mixer she attended was her senior year... with Sam. Her dress was a hand-me-down but he figured it looked better on her than anyone else. If she closed her eyes, Virginia could still feel his arms around her waist, keeping her safe and making sure she felt loved.

It was the first time the Curtis family had been out together in years as well. With Darry keeping himself busy with work, Ponyboy briefly at college, and Virginia abroad, it was jarring to break away from the hustle-and-bustle nature of their household.

While Ponyboy slipped away to meet with Cathy, Sodapop elbowed Virginia. He whisked her away from her daze and held his arm out. Virginia smiled appreciatively.

"I can't dance now," she sighed, briefly pressing her head against his shoulder in disappointment. "I have to check in with Mrs. Taube."

"Mrs. Taube still teaches here?" His brows knit together in disbelief. "She's ancient!"

"Shh, I'm already on her naughty list, don't let her hear you!" Virginia nudged him with her hip and she heard Darry sigh tiredly behind her.

"Knock it off, you two." He suddenly paled, his eyes fixated on something in the distance, and he smacked Sodapop's shoulder, barely managing to hiss out, "Christ almighty, move—"

Mrs. Taube narrowed in on the two Curtis brothers who failed to escape. She shuffled over, her peppery curls bouncing as she moved. "Stop right there, Darrel Curtis, I see you," she called, a snide grin on her face.

Darry stifled a groan and offered his former English teacher a mild-mannered smile. "Hi, Mrs. Taube. You been doin' alright, I hope?"

"Gettin' along there in years but it's the same ol'," she snorted and then looked at Sodapop who stared shamefully at the ground.

Virginia hid her own smile as the old woman's fiery stare seemed to burn a hole in her once jesting brother. She remembered the numerous phone calls home when Sodapop could never sit still in English class and became, in the words of Taube, "the definitive profile of a rodeo clown ."

"Well, if it ain't Sodapop Curtis," Mrs. Taube donned her firm, rock-splitting voice. "We learn our proper contractions yet, young man?"

"I ain't reckon we did," her brother mumbled and staunched a flinch when Darry's hand lashed out to him a smack on the arm although the eldest Curtis never budged from his smile.