7. Day Two of Knowing

I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend why I'm standing here

One by one, I crack each of my knuckles, staring at the empty sofa in front of me.

It's oddly lonely here today.

I can't understand why my feet don't just turn and start moving; away from here, towards my room. I keep telling them that it's ridiculous to just keep me here, staring at nothing, but they don't really seem to care whether I look like I need to be sent to a mental health hospital.

Elliot's not here.

The elevator lobby feels almost empty without him and his presence.

The strangest sense of loneliness sets in as I realize that this is probably the last time that I'll step off this elevator.

Which also means, I won't see Elliot again.

And that thought is just about depressing.

I'll count to three and then, turn and walk to my room.

One.

Two.

Three.

I'm still standing here.

If you move now, you can have a nice soak in the tub.

I roll my eyes at my own bargaining powers and walk off in the direction of my room, pulling out my phone.

I send a message off to Miles: Are you busy?

The moment I enter my room, my phone goes off.

I answer.

"Are you sad about leaving your hot doctor?" Miles asks me, not missing a beat.

The door takes the brunt of my frustration as I shut it and lock myself inside with the chain.

"I'm not sad," I tell him.

Miles snorts. "Oh, sure. And the Queen of England has me on speed dial." I hear him tapping away at his computer.

My suitcase sits on the luggage table, waiting for the clothes that I'm currently wearing to go in. Everything is ready for me to leave.

Except me.

"I'm not a fan of the Universe," I tell Miles.

"Believe me, I'm never a fan of the Universe, nor she of me," Miles says, "You do know that you can keep in touch with him, right? Like, it's not illegal."

I lean my forehead against the wall and sigh deeply.

"Look," Miles goes on, "I get that you're worried about your parents and how conservative they can be and I know you think that your parents will think that you're trying to run off with a strange man, but he's going to be a strange man until you get to know him. And I also know you're weary of relationships in general, especially after what happened last time, but there's nothing wrong in trying with someone new."