۰۶

It had been almost ten minutes since they had arrived to their shabby unkept hotel room and neither of them had spoken a word.

Yaseen, simply lay on the squeaky old bed while Dina sat down by the foot of it. Her back facing Yaseen.

Yaseen felt restless as he saw her silhouette shaking. She must be in pain.

Why did it bother him so much though?

He sighed getting up, Dina Farooqi would definitely be the death of him.

He slowly walked towards her and kneeled down facing her, she had her face buried between her legs as she sobbed softly.

"Ab maine aisa bhi kya keh diya ke tum itna ro rahi ho?" Yaseen mumbled, biting down on his lower lip.

(Now what did I even say for you to shed so much tears?)

But, Dina remained mute. Not even looking up.

"Dina yaar" Yaseen groaned,"We aren't ten anymore."

Dina jerked her head up as soon as these words left his mouth.
Her eyes blazing with incomprehensible fury.
"Why are you even concerned? Let me be. We aren't ten anymore. You don't have to worry about me."

Yaseen sighed as his eyes softened. His orbs fleeted towards her face. That was puffy and red from crying.

"I'll always worry about you. No matter what age we are." Yaseen whispered, his gaze holding her captive.

Dina scoffed at him as she looked away from his face. It pained her immensely to hear him say that.

Suddenly, she felt two warm hands across her cheeks as they turned her face to face him.

He stared at her with so much intensity that it was almost impossible for her to look away. A lone tear trailed down her cheek as she closed her eyes shut.

"You've hurt me Yaseen. And it's not the first time you've done this." Dina whispered, as she sucked at her lower lip.

She felt his thumb rub against the tear, that fell down.

"You remember, when we were young, you used to wear that awfully purple dress of yours almost thrice a week despite phupho's constant dislike towards it." Yaseen said, as he slid down sitting beside Dina.

Dina flicked her eyes open as she stared at him in confusion.

"You even stole Phupho's lipstick and wore her heels, just because you felt pretty in them" Yaseen smiled lost in his thoughts as he narrated.

"You would roam around the entire house, stumbling in those heels that were too large for your tiny feet along with unevenly applied lipstick."

Dina frowned not knowing why he was reminiscing all this.

"And remember how one day, our watchman's son; Usamah, bullied you for being everyone's spoilt princess. And always showing off in that purple dress."

Dina's eyes widened.

"You cried for hours that day, never confided in anyone about what had happened. And suddenly after that you never wore your awfully purple dress again. It was like it had never existed." Yaseen concluded, causing a realisation to strike within Dina.

"And the next day you had beaten up Usamah and were punished by Dada Jaan. You knew what Usamah had said to me" Dina exclaimed horrified.

Yaseen only smiled down at her softly.

"You see Dins, I have always cared for you, so much more than I want to. But, that's how it's always been. It's like my body and brain automatically program themselves to protect you. Maybe in the process of protecting you, I end up being the person who inflicts the pain on you."