۰۱

•••

•••

The night bathed the moon in its comforting black blanket and the stars shone bright like pearls, as if they were stitched cushioned. A serene silence rang throughout the Zardari Haveli as almost everyone had dozed off into deep slumber the result of an extremely hectic day, except for the room that belonged to the newly wedded couple.

Low sobs and hushed cries echoed from the woman who sat clad in a delicately crafted yet heavy peach lehenga. A veil with heavy zardozi hid her noorani face from the eyes of her spouse.

Meezan Zardari, shuffled at his feet nervously almost petrified as he eyed his shrieking bride.
How was he supposed to console this woman?

Heaving an impossible sigh, Meezan did the only thing he could think of. Or rather the only person who could help him.

He dialled the number that was on his speed dial and waited patiently as the call connected after four rings.

"Ammi?" Meezan whispered slowly as he leaned against the door, eyeing her who sat on his bed with the lehenga sprawled, in his room.

"Huh? Meezan? Tum phirse kahin gir gaye ho kya?!" He flinched as he heard his mother's groggy sleep driven voice.

(Did you fall somewhere again?)

He had fallen down numerous times in the past week and it had coincidentally happened all in the night time. It had gotten so bad that, once he slipped near a manhole almost falling and dying in the sewage. What a horrid death to die!

Noor, his younger sister had teased him saying that he was so in love that he couldn't walk straight without falling to his feet.
Meezan could only scoff at his delusional sister. Love? He barely even knew his bride.

"Nahi Ammi. Main theek hoon wo--" Meezan replied, but was cut off soon enough when his mother started yelling at his father who was probably asleep too.
"Hashim! Aapki phislati aulaad apne shaadi ke din bhi gir gayi hai. Is baar keh raha hai ke Dahi mein gir gaya hai. Arrey uthein!"

(No, I am alright-)
(Your slippery son has fallen down on his wedding too. He is saying this time he has fallen in yogurt. Wake up!)

Meezan groaned ready to pluck his hair out as he eyed her sceptically who was still sobbing. How much is she going to cry? Ya Allah, help me.

"Meezan? Dahi ka raita bana lena, beta. Kal hum lunch ke liye rakh lenge." His father's drowsy voice came this time as his parents passed the phone back and forth.

(Make dressing out of the yogurt we'll have it tomorrow for lunch.)

"I am alright! I didn't fall. It's her. She is crying. What do I do?" Meezan whipered yelled finally causing the sleepy couple to go mute.