Chapter 38

The rest of the weekend and following week went by in a blur and Samantha divided her time between school, work and hanging out with Patrick. She was only able to have a few brief visits with Adam and Jamie when they were able to stop into the café on their breaks. Roses continued to be delivered to her every day by random, unsuspecting customers while she was at work and she continued to report it to Sgt. Lyle when it happened, after she called Adam, of course. It was starting to piss her off. They seemed to be no further ahead in finding Nathan Moore.

Adam was getting frustrated with the lack of information on Nathan Moore. The station didn't have the manpower or resources to put someone on Samantha constantly. Moore was completely in the wind, continuing to harass her, leaving roses daily just to keep her on edge. It was totally a mind game at this point as he hadn't made any further attempts to approach her directly at her house or at her job.

The fact that Adam had almost no free time to work the case himself or to just be near her was starting to piss him off too. He worked while she slept and she worked while he slept. His past dating relationships had always been set around his work schedule. He had never really cared enough to change his own routine to accommodate someone else, making him wonder suddenly if he had been a bit of a jerk.

He definitely hadn't believed at the time that he was being selfish and the women didn't seem to mind that he could only see them when he had a day off. Thinking back on this he realized that he hadn't even tried to see any of them if it wasn't his day off. No stopping to see them on his breaks, no texting or calling throughout the day. The relationships had all ended the same way, friendly, nobody overly attached, no hard feelings. He already knew without a doubt though, that if this relationship with Samantha were to end there would definitely be some pain. It was so different and more intense that he had ever experienced before. He cared for her and she had the power to really hurt him.