Chapter 68

Since they were not permitted to have anything in their pockets when they worked on the psychiatric ward, Samantha borrowed the telephone behind the nurses' desk to call Sergeant Lyle and then asked him to also let Adam know what had happened. Then she called her supervisor and requested an emergency meeting.

Adam found her in her supervisor's office at the hospital and tried his best to remain professional but his desire to bust into the room and take her into his arms almost overwhelmed him.

He could hear them talking when he knocked briskly on the door and opened it before waiting to be invited in. Samantha and the woman that she was meeting with both stood up when he entered. He searched Samantha's face and then took a quick visual scan of her body before relaxing slightly. Samantha took a step closer to him and then stopped, as though just realizing where they were. She turned to the other woman. "Joanne, this is Detective Adam McCabe. Adam, this is Joanne Brown, my supervisor with the university"

Adam touched Samantha's shoulder briefly, because he had to, before moving to offer his hand to the other woman.

"We'll need to take Samantha's statement, Ms. Brown but I'm sure that you have been filled in on the situation." Joanne looked at Samantha with concern "Yes, Sam has been upfront about this matter since it started but this is the first time it has found its way here." She glanced at Adam "She's asked to be taken off of rotation until this person can be found and we'll respect her decision, as it makes sense for the safety of the staff and patients, but we are very disappointed that she won't be here. She's a wonderful asset"

Joanne came over to hug Samantha. "You stay tough, Sam. I'll see you tomorrow in class" Turning back to Adam, she gestured to the desk and chairs. "Please use this room" and she said goodbye to them both and left, quietly shutting the door behind her.

As soon as they were alone, Adam turned to Samantha and opened his arms "Come here, baby" and she walked into his arms and they held each other tightly for a few minutes without words. Samantha could feel Adam's muscles vibrating as he held her and she closed her eyes. She didn't like him being upset. She didn't like giving up her hospital rotations. She didn't like feeling sorry for herself. She was so tired of this Moore person ruining her life.

Pulling back from her Adam looked at her intently. "Tell me what happened, sweetheart"