Chapter 28: Kidnap

Alfred picked up the young couple from the airport. The two of them were exhausted from the long trip. Lindsey fell asleep on Damian's shoulder during the drive and had to be woken up when they reached her home.

Damian helped take her bags to the door.

"I'll call you when I wake up tomorrow," Damian said to his half-asleep girlfriend.

"Sounds good," Lindsey yawned.

Damian chuckled at his girlfriend's sleepiness. He pressed a kiss to her forehead before turning around and walking back to the car. Lindsey waved goodbye as the car drove away.

She then opened the door and pulled her bags inside with her.

"Grandma, Grandpa, Diane, I'm home," she called out.

She was so tired that she didn't notice the disarray of the mansion. Nor did she notice the man coming out of the sitting room and placing a cloth over her mouth. 

{}~{}~{}~{}~{}

"Are we live?" the TV station had been hijacked. Damian and Bruce were both in the Batcave watching on the computer. A feed was finally coming through. "Are we good? Great! Welcome Gotham City!" On the television was The Riddler. He wore his usual green suit and green bowler hat. His cane was in his hand and shaped like a question mark.

"Do you want me to continue watching the feed with Alfred while you go out?" Damian asked.

"You sure you don't want to come?" Bruce asked. "Or get some sleep? You've been traveling for most of the day."

"I'm sure."

"This is a little game I like to call Answer the Riddle!" he continued as Bruce went to get his Batman outfit on. "We have some special guests here with us. Now these two guests," he walked over to the two sitting in chairs. They were both wearing suits, but one was a male suit and the other a suit with a skirt instead of pants. "This is Mrs. Margaret Holling," he pulled the bag covering her face off. "co-owner of Holling Oil, a mother and grandmother. And this is Mr. Wilson Holling. The one who started Holling Oil and decided to share ownership with his wife. He's a father and grandfather."

The two of them sat there, with their arms tied behind their backs and duct tape over their mouths. Mrs. Holling had tears running down her cheeks. Mr. Holling was looking at his wife with worry written all over his face.

"Lindsey," Damian stood up from the seat in front of the computer. "She must be worried sick. I need to call her."

Damian pulled out his phone and called Lindsey.

On the television, a phone went off.

"Now it looks like our final guest is being called by someone," the Riddler said. "Let's see who is calling." He pulled a phone out of the back pocket of the last hostage who was standing behind a podium. "Looks like someone called Beloved is calling." He dropped the phone on the ground and smashed it with his cane. Lindsey's voicemail went through the phone. "Oops. But now that the attention has turned to our last guest. This-" he pulled the bag off.

"LINDSEY!"

"- is Lindsey Vindai," the Riddler said. "She's the granddaughter of the Hollings. Her poor parents died last September and she has been living with her dear grandparents ever since. She is the heiress of Holling Oil."

Damian stared at the computer screen with his Beloved being held hostage. His teeth clenched as tears were brought to his eyes. He turned away from the screen and went to where his uniform was held. He didn't think twice and started changing. Bruce had gotten his suit on and saw Damian changing.