Chapter 22: Fair

"I enjoyed having you all in my class this year," Miss Blackman said to her class. "You're all more than willing to come to my wedding at the end of the summer. I'll just need an RSVP by the end of the day. Which is two minutes."

Damian and Lindsey were sitting in the back of their art classroom getting ready to leave the school for summer vacation. To celebrate the last year of school Lindsey, Damian, and their - mostly Lindsey's - friends had plans to all go do something tonight. They just didn't know what to do yet.

"What's that new movie that came out recently? We could go see that," Damian suggested.

"Noah, Kelsey, and Abigail already saw it," Lindsey said. "They said it was terrible."

Damian ran a hand through his hair. While he didn't care about the group wanted to do, he wanted to spend more time with Lindsey. Especially since in the next few months, they won't have school to be able to spend time together.

"Okay, no movie. What about the mall, there's shopping and an arcade and food," Damian suggested.

"Juliet and Ryeanne don't need to do any more shopping," Lindsey said. "Besides you hate the mall."

The bell rang and the other students ran out. Damian stood up taking Lindsey's hand as they walked to the front of the school to meet up with the others.

"So what are we going to do? Spend the entire afternoon and evening at the diner? That's no fun," Damian said.

"The other might have come up with something," Lindsey said as the couple walked through the front doors of the school.

"There you guys are!" Giovanni shouted, waving at them. "We got the perfect thing to do tonight!"

"The fair's opening night is tonight," Abigail said as they caught up with the group. "Opens at five."

"Yeah and until then we can go to the mall," Ryeanne said. Damian's face twitched into a sneer. "Or we could go get some food."

"And get some money from the bank," Logan said. "I didn't have enough cash for a fair."

"I can lend you some," Damian said.

"Naw, it's fine," Logan said. "I can pay for myself. That's why I got that part-time job."

"You don't need to use your money for us," Ryeanne said. "Most of us have our own trust funds. Maybe not as big as yours, but we still got one."

"I'm just saying that I don't mind helping you guys if you're having trouble," Damian shrugged.

"We don't need your money Damian," Juliet said sweetly. 

"How much money do you carry with you at one time?" Abigail asked. "If you're willing to help, how much cash to you have on you?"

"Is two thousand too much?" Damian asked completely stone-faced.

We all looked at him in shock. All of them were thinking the same thing, Why would Damian carry that much money? Why would anyone need that much cash on them at one point in time?

"Damian-?" Lindsey started.

"That's a joke," Damian said quickly. "I have a feeling that you guys can't tell when I'm joking."

"Have you tried joking before?" Noah asked with wide eyes.

Damian gave him a killer glare causing him to shrink behind Ryeanne. The others looked away from him not wanting to catch his eye.

"Babe, you have been trying to joke haven't you?" Lindsey asked. Damian didn't say anything. But what he didn't say could be understood. He had tried joking before, but they haven't noticed.