Chapter 12: Robbery

Gun shots went off. Screams exploded along with the gunshots. Damian pulled Lindsey down to the ground and covered her head with his shoulders. People around them fell to the ground as well.

"Calm down everyone!" a voice shouted. Another gunshot went off followed by more screams. "Shut up!"

"What's going on?" Lindsey whispered panickily.

"Events like this always have something like this happen. Whether it be from lower ranked gangs or high ranked villains, something like this always happens," Damian explained quickly.

"Who is it this time?"

"Everyone stand in a line!" the voice from before shouted.

"Penguin," Damian hissed. He helped Lindsey up and into the line people were forming. He wrapped an arm around her waist as we stood amongst everyone.

"Now we're only here for the good stuff. Everyone give me your jewels, cash, and anything else worth some good money." Most people reached into wallets or bags to pull out money. Some girls took off necklaces. Lindsey saw one girl not much older than herself take a diamond comb out of her hair.

There were men in black suits with black masks covering their faces. They had bags in their hands and went around to people.

Beside Lindsey, Damian took out his wallet and pulled out his money and credit card. Lindsey looked around for her grandparents. She saw them closer to the beginning of the line. Grandma had her necklace off and Grandpa had his wallet out.

"Lindsey you have to give them something," Damian whispered into her ear.

"I don't have anything on me, besides my phone," she whispered back.

"Lindsey if you don't give them something, they will shoot you." Damian then stopped and looked down at his hand. He split the cash he had in half and held one of the halves to Lindsey.

"Into the bag."

Lindsey jumped. One of the men appeared in front of the two of them. Damian threw the money and credit card into the bag. He held the bag in front of Lindsey.

"I don't have anything," she whispered.

"Put your things into the bag, little girl," the man said getting closer to Lindsey.

"I don't have anything of any value," Lindsey insisted.

The man stared at her from behind the mask. Damian moved in front of her in attempt to keep his eyes from Lindsey.

"Mr. Penguin, there's a situation over here," the man said, not taking his eyes off Lindsey.

"What?" it was the same voice from before. It sounded like a bird squawking obnoxiously. The Penguin walked over with his waddle. "What's going on?"

"This girl says she doesn't have anything."

Penguin then turned to Lindsey. He had a long, pointed noise and beady dark eyes. He was short, he came up to Lindsey chest. He looked Lindsey up and down, inspecting her intently.

"What do you mean you have nothing?" Penguin asked. "You have to have something of value on you."

"The most expensive thing I have on me, is my dress," Lindsey said.

"How could you not have anything expensive on you?" Penguin asked pushing the henchmen to the side and stepping in front of her. "It's a charity gala, you have to have something on you."

"My grandparents made me come. They wanted me to come. I didn't know I needed to bring anything."

"Where you from girly?" Penguin asked.