Chapter 2: School

Lindsey had been dropped off in front of the school. She felt so out of place, especially since she knew she didn't belong. No one could tell she didn't though. With everyone wearing the same uniform, it was hard to tell who didn't belong. Everyone wore the same blue jacket, white button up shirt, black shoes and blue tie. The girls wore blue skirts while the boys wore blue slacks.

Lindsey pulled her jacket tighter around her as she stared up at the school. It was a three story building with a clock tower and hundreds of students milling around. Many of them were hugging after the long summer apart. You could tell which ones were freshmen by the way they traveled in packs with their heads down. And you could tell which ones were rich and confident by the way they held themselves high and looked down their noses at others not as wealthy as them.

People looked at Lindsey strangely. Nobody recognized her. Nobody knew who she was. Girls judged her from all angles, most envying her but some scoffing at her. Boys looked at her in all her innocent glory, maybe not someone worth going out with.

Lindsey pulled out her schedule and map of the school. The schedule was a bit confusing at first glance but after looking at it for a second or two more it made more sense. She looked at the map which made a lot more sense than the schedule. Once she figured out where she was supposed to be going she began her walk into the school and towards her class.

As Lindsey stepped inside the school she didn't notice the expensive car pull in front of the school. Nor did she realize all the students stop to look. Some of them may have even stopped breathing. Girls whispered in hushed hurried voices and boys grumbled to each other.

Alfred stepped out of the driver's door and walked to Damian's door to open it for him. Damian stepped out with a bag slung over his shoulder and a scowl on his face. All the students who were just looking at him looked away quickly. Damian's eyes scanned the students looking for anyone willing to challenge him. There were no takers.

"Now Master Damian," Alfred said as he closed Damian's door, "have a good day and don't cause any trouble."

"Of course, Pennyworth. Goodbye," Damian said before he walked across the courtyard. His stride was long and fluid. Many of the girls smiled and waved at him as he walked by. He ignored them all and just walked to his class. Some of the bravest girls continued to follow him inside.

Halfway down the hallway to his first class of the day he stopped and turned to the girls with a glare. They squealed and ran off. Damian rolled his eyes and continued on his way.

Lindsey had made it to her class and took a seat in the middle of the classroom. The bell rang not long after and other students came walking in. Many of them were talking amongst themselves. The ones talking to one another took seats close together. Those by themselves sat just as alone. A girl who came in by herself, but with a large smile, sat in front of Lindsey and turned to face her.

"You're new here, aren't you?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm Lindsey Vindai."

"Nice to meet you, Lindsey. I'm Ryan."

"Ryan?"

"It's spelled R-Y-E-A-N-N-E." She had wild brown curls that stood out in every direction. Her dark green eyes held nothing but happiness and sincerity. She sat with her arm on the back of the chair and her right leg over her left, turned towards Lindsey. Her skirt was rolled up underneath her shirt which was untucked. Her tie wasn't properly tied and hung loose and the top button of her shirt was undone. But then again, a lot of the girls wore their uniforms that way, Lindsey saw as they piled into the classroom.

"Give me your schedule," Ryeanne demanded.

Lindsey handed her schedule over hesitantly. Ryeanne swiped it from her hand as soon as it got close enough. Her eyes scanned it quickly.