Chapter 26: Bedroom

It was only week since school was out for the summer and Lindsey and Damian spent all their time with each other.

It was yet another day of the couple spending time together watching a program on TV when an urgent message came across the screen.

URGENT! VILLAIN ATTACK DOWNTOWN! PLEASE EVACUATE!

Lindsey turned to Damian. Suddenly there was a rush of footsteps. Bruce came into room and looked between the two.

"Take Lindsey upstairs, Damian," Bruce said.

"Okay, Father. Be safe," Damian said as he helped Lindsey off the sofa.

Suddenly another urgent message popped up on the screen.

THE SECRET SIX ARE ATTACKING THE DOWNTOWN AREA!

"I'm calling in the Justice League for this," Bruce said.

"Do you need my help?" Damian asked.

"No. Stay here," Bruce said.

Bruce ran of to the library while Damian and Lindsey made their way to Damian's bedroom. Once inside, Lindsey hugged Damian close to her. She didn't want him to leave her alone when there was a group of villains out there.

"Don't leave me, Damian," Lindsey whispered.

"Are you scared, Beloved?" Damian asked.

"I'm scared that you'll get hurt if you go out there," Lindsey said.

"I've fought plenty of villains before," Damian reminded her. "The most I've been hurt is a few broken bones."

"You're not going to leave me tonight, though right?" Lindsey asked.

"Of course not. Besides, the Justice League will take care of it," Damian whispered to Lindsey as he held her in his arms.

Lindsey moved closer to Damian, if it were even possible.

"Don't you want to help?" Lindsey asked into his collarbone.

"When it's something big like this, yes. But I've been learning that unless Father asks for my help in a situation like this, I need to stay away," Damian said. "There have been some instances that the Justice League was compromised and us 'sidekicks' had to jump in and fix everything."

"By the way you're saying that you didn't enjoy it too much," Lindsey.

"I don't enjoy being called a sidekick," Damian said. "If anything, sidekicks are partners, equals. But the rest of the world doesn't see it like that. Just because we're younger and less experienced, doesn't mean we don't train to do what they do. Jon was born to be Superboy, he's been training since before he could walk, but people see him as a kid who got lucky. Starfire is from a different planet and is a princess and a queen, but she gave all that up to help Earth. But she still doesn't get any credit for helping train young heroes who don't know what to do.

"If you're not in the Justice League, it's like you're not a real superhero. Nightwing is just a vigilante in Bludhaven. The Teen Titans are a rag-tag group of kids in Jump City. Superboy is the annoying follower of Superman in Metropolis. Being a hero isn't all it's cracked up to be."

Lindsey couldn't help but feel sorry for all the heroes not in the Justice League. They deserved so much more than they have. They risk their lives to help people. The risk their livelihoods if they get caught. If Dick got caught as Nightwing, he would lose his job, his credit for everything, people would think of Bruce different for raising Dick. And since the world didn't know that Nightwing was Robin before he changed, the Waynes would be safe.