chapter four

AUSTIN

After we left, we got in the car and I instantly took out my phone to call Alexis to tell her the good news. She always believed in me and always said that I was going to go far. I never believed her though. It still hadn’t fully sunk in that my dream actually came true. It was almost too good to believe.

I dialed her number and waited for her to answer.

“Hello?” she answered after 3 rings.

“Hey babe guess what!”

“What?” she said sounding excited. That made me smile.

“I got the record deal. I played the new song I’ve been working on and they loved it so much they signed me to a record deal! Can you believe it? It actually happened.”

“I told you that it would.”

“Well yeah but I just thought you were being supportive. Well okay I know you believed in me. I just never believed in myself. I didn’t think it was actually going to happen. My fans are going to be so excited when I tell them the good news. But I wanted you to be the first to know. Other than my mom of course. I just can’t wait to see what they say.”

“Austin that’s awesome. I’m so proud of you.” She said. I could tell she wasn’t excited at all. Actually, she sounded less than excited. She sounded upset.

“Babe what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“No come on tell me. You know you can tell me anything. Right?”

“Yeah I know but it’s not that important.”

“Well then why do you sound so upset?” I asked becoming concerned. I hated when she was sad. It made me sad.

“Really its nothing. Don’t worry about it.”

“Alexis,” I started, but she cut me off before I could say anything else.

 “Hey listen I gotta go. Mom wants help with something.”

“Oh. Okay bye. See you later I guess.”  I said.

“Yeah okay.” She said quickly and then hung up. I looked at my phone wondering what could possibly be wrong. Why did she become upset all of a sudden? I sighed and put my phone in my pocket.

“Well that was a short call.” My mom said breaking the silence. I looked over at her and shrugged.

“Yeah. It was.”

“Was she excited?”

“Well she was at first and then towards the end of the conversation she became upset. I don’t know why though. I’m gonna go over when we get home.” I said. My mom nodded and didn’t respond.

-----

When we got home, after saying bye to my mom, I walked over to Alexis’ house and sighed before knocking on the door. I hope she answered it. I really wanted to know what was wrong. It was worrying me. More than it should. Her mom answered it and greeted me with a smile.

“Austin I heard the news. Congratulations! I’m so proud of you.” she hugged me. I chuckled. She was kind of like a second mom to me. The reason I say kind of is because despite how much I talked to her whenever I was at their house, which was quite often. We hung out practically every day. Anyways. I said kind of because her and Alexis aren’t that close. They used to be closer before the accident. After that things went downhill. Her mom wasn’t nice to her and was always drinking and yelling at her. She blamed her depression on Alexis. Eventually Alexis learned to deal with it and she sort of pushed her mom away. It’s gotten better but it was obvious that they were never going to be the same as they were back then.