19: first encounters at the peach farm

electrifying | kimetsu no yaiba

chapter nineteen
first encounters at the peach farm

(y/n) was fifteen when she returned to the Kuwajima Estate to begin her rehabilitation training. She had just came back after an attack that almost costed her limbs, and was determined to be more mindful of her actions. Although, this time around, she finally had someone else to test her skills other than her grandfather.

Kaigaku, like (y/n), was still young but definitely less reckless in his days. He was among the vicious sort, sporting a jet-black look that radiated his high confidence in himself. It wasn't too bad anyway to be confident over oneself. But to compare over a small needle in a pile of hay, he was no doubt a complicated mess.

She met the boy a few years back just before she was about to take on Final Selection at the time. Like a child, he was rowdy but was obviously not below the age of ten years. Her grandfather once found him in shambles after picking ruthless fights with the local kids at the nearby village. He said that it was his strength and endurance that sparked him long ago. (y/n) nodded, and perhaps sharing the same roof with this boy was the next thing she knew after. At least it was like having a younger brother she never really had. Well to be honest, she wasn't a fan of his company.

"He's always so angry at me all the time, and he never listens to me," her younger self complained to her grandfather after the first week of Kaigaku's arrival at the family estate, "Why is he even here again? I don't think he really deserves to stay here."

"He's here because he has already suffered enough," he explained firmly to the pessimistic and anxious girl, "He has great confidence and strength in his heart, dear (y/n). That's why I want to help him."

"Even if he's being mean to me, shouting for no reason, and always throwing away your delicious peaches?" questioned (y/n), still not getting her grandfather's bigger picture.

"It never hurts to help," he simply answered as he gently patted his granddaughter's head as he chuckled at the sight of her being super naive and stubborn at the time.

Now holding the title as her grandfather's new disciple, perhaps (y/n) seized this information as an opportunity to just help him along with his training every now and then. She always had the bad feeling that her grandfather, the former Thunder Hashira of the Corps, was being taken for granted. Despite knowing the fact that she did not favor herself listening to his constant yelling from time to time, she just wanted to help the old man so bad. (y/n) just found it a little shameful if he would one day use these teachings for something terrible.

"Stop, you're holding your sword wrong," (y/n) pointed out to Kaigaku as she saw that his hands were not holding his training blade properly. She lowered her own as she stared at the boy in a serious manner.

"What do you mean I'm holding it wrong?!" he protested, but his angry volume mellowed in his lungs, so that he didn't look too angry at (y/n). In response to her stance, he braced his blade to lash out at the motionless teenager for another surprise attack, "It's just a sword. I can hold it however I want!"

She raised the sharp edge of her sword to parry the blow of the short-tempered individual. Her (e/c) eyes dimmed with furrowed brows as she continued defending incoming attacks with her blocks.

"Listen, I want you to stop," (y/n) bluntly advised the eager opponent to surrender his sword, so that she could properly point out the mistakes he's been making for the past couple of minutes, "There's a lot of faults that I need to point out to you, so please stop-"