9: the new thunder pillar

a/n - I moved up (y/n)'s status in the Corps because I feel like earning 5 ranks during 5 years of her time as a Demon Slayer would suit her better.

For readers who read this fanfic with the "Kanoto" ranking before, (y/n) moves up to "Tsuchinoe" since this plays a role in this chapter.

- -

electrifying | kimetsu no yaiba

chapter nine
the new thunder pillar

(y/n) and her grandfather knelt down quietly as they listened closely to the leader of the Demon Slayer Corps.

"You've showed great skill as a demon slayer, Kuwajima. Learning to wield a blade at the age of ten.. you really do have wonderful talent. Usually, it's impossible for a child to hold a sword, but you made it like if it was a game of tag. Exactly how?"

"I appreciate the praise, but I do not wish to share something so personal," answered (y/n) sensibly, sitting up straight like a proper woman.

"Just as I expected from a true slayer," chuckled Ubuyashiki, intertwining his hair, "A demon slayer never shares his or her secret to anyone, especially if it affects their strengths and weaknesses. It becomes their disadvantage instead. Nicely done, Ms. Kuwajima."

Jigoro, her grandfather, started pouring out warm matcha tea, from the kettle, in the mugs; (y/n) started passing one to Kagaya himself, then to her grandpa, and lastly to her.

After taking his first sip from his green tea, Ubuyashiki continued his grandeur speech for the young girl.

"Do you know why you're here?" simply asked the young adult in the white kimono jacket to (y/n).

(y/n), shook her head, pretending that she had no idea what Kagaya-san was talking about although she knew what was going on. Why else would he be coming over to her house all of a sudden with the devastating condition he's in at the moment?

Ubuyashiki is trying to recruit her.

He's always tried. (y/n) made a remarkable example of herself as an independently competent demon slayer. She carries her grandfather's lightning legacy, and to top of it all, was very devoted into following her duty. She would make an exceptional hashira, renouncing a new thunder pillar to the elite team.

Ubuyashiki had always found wonderful potential in (y/n). It's what kept bringing him back and back. He hopes that (y/n)'s gift and skill could be a great help to the rest of the pillars. But no matter how many times he had offered her recruitment, (y/n) would usually reject them.

She found no destiny when she imagined herself as a hashira. It's not like she wanted to become a demon slayer in the first place. She really had no choice whatsoever, and it seemed like she's not getting any more choices at this point now.

"Your title shall be moved along the pillar elites," the man sipped his tea again from his mug, "No further exceptions are allowed."

'Gah! He activated his trump card!' thought (y/n) in her head as she looked down on her own mug of tea.

"Excuse me, but don't I need to earn the last few ranks before I can become one?" questioned (y/n), trying to make a valid point here to hopefully discard her unwanted promotion.