i | xii. an old, dirty hat

Arriving at the front of the large, magnificent, and ornate castle's main entrance, all the small first year students were starstruck. In awe of such a beautiful place, which they would call home for the next few year, the students stood still, feeling unfit for walking in the presence of such a spectacular place.

Needing to get moved as a big unit towards the castle by Hagrid, the giant man who has been leading all the first years thus far, he pushed them all towards the door so they would be able to enter the castle. Knocking thrice with his gigantic fist, Hagrid stood, waiting for an answer.

The door swung open at once. There stood a tall witch with silver hair, which had been tied into a tight knot. She also wore emerald-green dress robes and a watchful expression. She had a very stern face, showing she was not someone to cross. Her look said, 'Stay as far away from me as possible if you wanted to keep yourself out of trouble.'

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

She pulled the door wide. The entrance hall was huge, with stone walls lit with flaming torches, a ceiling too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase, which faced them and led to the upper floors.

They followed Professor McGonagall to a small, empty chamber off the hall. Hundreds of voices could be heard droning on from a rightward doorway. Presumably, the rest of the school would be found inside. Standing rather closely with each other, all the first year students crammed into the chamber.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall began. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your House will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your House, sleep in your House dormitory, and spend free time in your House common room.

"The four Houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your House points, while any rule-breaking will lose House points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting. I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly," then, Professor McGonagall was off to the Great Hall.

Harry flattened his hair a bit, nervous of what would become of him if it was a mess. Lyra fastened her tie a bit more, making sure it was as tight as necessary. Lyra neatened up Harry's tie, needing to redo it completely because Harry had done it so messily. Ron became aware of a dirt smudge on his nose when Lyra brought it up, helping him to rub it off gently.

After fixing up the boys and their messes, Lyra began considering how everyone would be getting sorted. She didn't distinctly remember her fathers mentioning anything about how she would get placed in her House. Then something completely unexpected happened, causing Harry and Lyra to jump about a foot in the air. Many people screamed from behind them.

"What the — "

Lyra heard Harry gasp beside her and he took her hand tightly in his, in a protective manner. About twenty ghosts had just come streaming through the back wall. Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly sparing a glance to the first years. They seemed to be arguing.