i | xxxviii. connected

The twenty-first was not a great day, but it turned out surprisingly manageable for Lyra and Remus.

The day leading up to a full moon was never a 'good' day because wizards who transform into werewolves will never have a full moon day without pain, but sometimes the days aren't as difficult to get through. A day like today, for the Lupin and Lupin-Black, was always a great way to lead into the night.

Their good day gave them hope that their night wouldn't be completely terrible, which is what happened, thankfully.

Lyra was completely in control of herself and she was able to talk with Remus, who never had control but was tamed by Prongs and Pads. But something new happened tonight — a Christmas miracle, if you will.

Padfoot and Prongs had their spots in the pack established by some higher form of magic none of them had any control over.

As soon as Lyra and Remus transformed while Padfoot and Prongs sat at the edge of the opening in the woods, they started talking excitedly to each other as they did every past transformation since the first time she had been able to communicate with Remus.

'Hello, padre dos!' Lyra's voice said excitedly.

'Hello, child uno,' Remus' deeper voice joked.

'I missed you before yesterday, Dad.'

'I missed you, too, Cub.'

'But, I am glad I've gotten to be with you all day.'

'It is nice to have you at home for the whole day, sweetheart. It gets quieter when you're gone.'

'It's not very quiet at Hogwarts, what with the twins always playing pranks and getting into trouble.'

'The twins we're having over for dinner on Christmas?'

'Yes! Fred and George Weasley, and their older brother Percy, of course.'

'If they cause so much trouble, maybe we shouldn't let you be friends with them,' Remus joked.

Throughout their whole conversation thus far, Padfoot was looking at Prongs with a questioning stare with his head tilted, as if listening to something — something that Prongs could not yet hear.

Sirius listened to his daughters voice coming from some unknown place. He looked to Prongs, who looked right back at him, but he didn't seem to be hearing anything out of the ordinary; he didn't hear Lyra's voice or Remus' voice like Sirius did.

Sirius didn't know if he would be able to say anything to the two so he just listened silently to their ongoing conversation. But after hearing Remus' last comment, he had to try.

'Well that would be quite hypocritical of us, Moony, wouldn't it?' Sirius' voice called out and rung through the ears of Remus and Lyra.

'Papa?!' Lyra called out in response.

'Siri?' said Moony in shock.

'Why, hello, dear family. A lovely evening we're having, yes?'

'Hi, Papa!'

'Hello, my first child!'

'Only child,' Moony corrected.

'As far as you know, Moons.'

'Papa!' Lyra whined with a giggle that brought a smile to her fathers' canine faces.