i | xv. the first breakfast

After she wrote a letter to her dads, Lyra went to bed, dreaming about how her classes would go with her new friend. She was nervous, so falling asleep was a task in itself but as soon as her eyelids grew heavy, they didn't resist the temptation of remaining closed.

Her letter had been taken by Hedwig, Harry's owl. He had sent a letter to his parents, informing them of his first feast at Hogwarts and how he was sorted. So, Lyra just attached her letter to Harry's and sent the two closed pieces of parchment away with the snowy owl.

Lyra's letter had said:

Hola, Papa and Dad!

As you know, I left for Hogwarts this morning and I'm guessing that you can assume the following, but I have arrived safely.

We met Hagrid, Professor McGonagall, and were introduced to the staff before we all got sorted. I liked Hagrid; he's a bit frightening at first glance because of how tall he is, especially when I'm so short, but he seems nice and like he would be a nice friend to keep. I'm thinking about owling him soon and asking to meet-up to talk or something of the sorts.

Professor McGonagall was even more frightening. She looked strict but I'm hoping she's not too bad if you're not a bad student. Maybe if I do well in her class, she won't seem as scary . . ? If I ever get into trouble . . . well, I just hope I don't end up on the other end of her wand while I await my punishment.

The rest of the staff seemed alright. There was a teacher dressed in all black, I think I remember Percy telling me that he teaches Potions, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Oh, and Percy is a fifth-year, and a Weasley. He's a Prefect, so his brothers seem to mess with him and call him names, but I think they might just be a little jealous.

I've made a few friends, like one girl who's in my dorm. Her name is Hermione Granger and she's a brilliant Muggle-born student. I can already tell that she's going to be one of my toughest competitors if I want to have the highest marks. I also have all the Weasley kids who are at Hogwarts now, like Percy, George, Fred, and Ron. Ron is in Harry's and my year, George and Fred are twins and are in their third year, and Percy is in his fifth year.

I'm happy to announce that I am following in both of your laid paths and walking through your big footprints (or should I say paw prints); I am, as of a few hours ago, a proud first-year Gryffindor! I think you will probably read Harry's letter over Uncle James' shoulder, so you will already know that Harry was sorted with me. Two new Gryffindor's to add to the collection when we go back home for Christmas holiday.

I hope you're happy and keeping out of too much trouble while I'm away. Don't forget to send me lots of letters as I will be missing you everyday.

I love you, both, and am waiting for your letter.

Love, Lyra

Now, on the second of September, 1991, Lyra woke up to Hermione shaking her awake.

"Lyra, I didn't know if you wanted me to wake you, but I didn't want you to be late for our first day of classes, either," Hermione whispered into Lyra's ear.

Lyra had been thankful for this form of awakening. Her Papa Pads, as much as she loved him and his wake-up calls, would leave dog slobber all over her face after giving her kisses in his animagus form. He loved waking her up in his dog form because if she didn't wake up and she didn't necessarily NEED to be up, he would snuggle with her in her bed as Padfoot.

Her dad would claim that he didn't enjoy when his husband did this, but he never stopped it from happening and would often find himself joining the two, bringing a book to read while sitting next to his favorite people. He would read to himself until one of the others would wake up and cause enough movement to wake up whichever one still attempted sleep, or until they really needed to get up due to the time of day.