chapter 6

Wesley's POV

Luke's team had lost by one in overtime. I met him down by the dressing rooms knowing he would be upset. He slammed the doors open revealing a very pissed Luke. He stomped his way out of the arena with his head down. Quinn had already started the car as we hoped in, me now being in the passenger seat. 

"FUCK!" Luke screamed, I was completely stunned. He was never this upset. He always handled losing quite well, unlike Jack. 

"Jesus Luke, knock it off, you played well and they just got a lucky shot okay!" Quinn said back looking at his younger brother in the rearview mirror. 

"It's just a game, Luke," I said and that's when things exploded. 

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME WESLEY ANNE! EVERYONE WAS WATCHING ME, SCOUTS, PARENTS, QUINN! I'LL NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH, NOT LIKE JACK OR QUINN!" He screamed. I widened my eyes, tears now forming. I looked over at Quinn to see his knuckles turning white as he gripped the steering wheel and his jaw clenched. The rest of the car ride was completely quiet and my mind wandered toward the thought of Jack. Dear lord did I miss him. Jack was way better at handling Luke after games if he was ever mad. Once we got to the Hughes house, I ran walked inside fast enough to not deal with the boys. I headed straight up to Jack's room locking the door behind me. I entered the room, my nose filling with the smell of his cologne. I got undressed, I grabbed one of his shirts and a pair of shorts that I had leftover months ago and he kept them for future use. I crawl into his bed. Beginning to cry once my face hit his pillow. I pulled the covers over my entire body trying to hide myself from the outside world. I heard a door unlock coming from the bathroom realizing I had forgotten about locking that door too. I felt a dip in the bed. I opened one eye ever so slightly to see Quinn looking up at the ceiling, his arms behind his head. His head turned towards my face and smiled when he saw my eye open.

"Hey." He said. 

"Hi, Quinn," I replied, moving my body to know to lay my head on his chest. His arm around my waist, his thumb rubbing the skin above the waistband of the sweatpants in a caring way. I squeeze my body closer to him feeling the warmth of his body on mine. 

"Thank you," I said.

"For what?"

"For being there for me," I said looking up at his light brown eyes than to his lips. I move my body up more so our eyes were now parallel to one another. "I really like you." I blurted. He leans in, our lips touching and then moving in sync with each other. 

"I like you too." He said as we break away from our kiss. I lay my head back onto the pillow as I look at his side profile. A small smile formed on my lips and I giggled quietly.

"Why are you laughing?" He said.

"Because who would have thought, us." I said, "What is us?"

"It can be whatever you want it to me." 

"I want you and I to be an us."

"Can I take you out on a date then?" He asked, turning himself on his side to face me. I nodded my head. 

"Tonight. 6 pm and nothing fancy... please just dress like you usually do, I like it that way." He said now getting off the bed and exiting the room. I let out a loud sigh. My life had been changed in a matter of weeks. I out of Jack's bed and left Hughes's house without anyone noticing. Once I got home, I took a shower, put my hair in a French braid, and put on leggings, a crewneck, and slip-on shoes. I had time so I decided to clean my room because who knows who will be coming into it soon. I had never realized that a third of my wardrobe was Jack's clothes that he had given me so I decided to go through the pile and return the ones I didn't love or that didn't smell like him anymore. I ended up keeping seven out of the thirty shirts and sweatshirts he had given me, mostly because they weren't smelling like him anymore. I brought my dirty dishes to the sink in the kitchen, cleaning them and putting them in the correct spot when I heard the doorbell ring. I opened the door to reveal a Quinn in joggers, Nike sneakers, and a University of Michigan sweatshirt. 

"Hey Wes, you ready to go?" He asked, I nodded my head and he lead me to his car with my hand in his. Like the gentleman he was, he opened the door for me and shut it before going to his side and hopping in. 

"So where are we going?" I asked as he pulled out of my driveway. 

"You'll see." He said with a very concentrated look. 

"We can't tell Jack." I blurted out, making him laugh still looking at the road. 

"I know, it's our little secret." He replied. His hands are now on my thigh rubbing it slightly. We pulled into a diner on a corner of the street. It was brightly lit with neon lights and the sign read 'Lilah's Diner'. I felt like I knew this place but couldn't put my finger on it. We went inside and got a booth right next to a window. The air was thick with fog and we knew we would have to wait it out because it was so dangerous. 

"Do you remember this place?" Quinn asked. 

"Everything looks so familiar but I can't figure it out," I responded. Quinn reached in his pocket, pulling out a picture and handing it to me. There was me, Jack, and Quinn sitting in this same booth, Jack and I were probably around 4 and Quinn would have been 6 years old. Jack and I  had the biggest smile on our faces looking at the camera but Quinn was smiling at me. The biggest milkshake I had ever seen was on the table in front of us with three straws, most likely for each of us to drink out of the same glass. 

"I remember that day, that day was the day that Jack and I taught you how to skate. Then our moms brought us here. The day that I realized I had a crush on you." He said looking at me with a soft smile. I didn't know why but my eyes started to get tearful. The good old days when none of us had to stress about moving and the future. It was a time when all we cared about was each other and the game. But it isn't just a game.