Chapter 28

For a moment, time stood still. The rustling of the trees halted. The clouds remained fixed. The stars don't twinkle. Every sound, muted. Every motion, froze. Everything around you, stopped.

Your expression blanks as your unwavering eyes stare out at nothing. Your mind empties. You don't think anything. You don't feel anything. The voices around you were indistinguishable. Everything plays in slow motion.

It felt like a bad dream and you wanted to wake up. But then you realize that you weren't dreaming at all and you were, in fact, standing here. In front of Yuji. In front of Fushiguro. And all at once like someone rewinding a tape on the fastest setting. You begin to hear everything again. You begin to see everything again and you feel everything again. The trees start to rustle, loudly. The stars glow rhythmically and the clouds drift across the sky again. You feel your heart pumping rapidly. You feel your lungs wanting more air. You feel the lump in your throat, the knot in your chest, the churn in your stomach. Your eyes begin to well and it obscures your vision. Mental anguish now consumes you.

Your gaze, still fixated on your phone which lay at your feet in pieces. You continue to think that the disconnected-recording was a mistake. You continue to think that you had dialed the wrong number. Even though you know you had pressed Gojo's name in your contacts; he was listed under your favorites with a little heart emoji.

You look at Yuji because he'd been trying to get your attention. The boy sees that you're on the verge of tears but they don't drop down just yet. They don't drop yet because you were waiting. Waiting for Yuji to give you reassurance, waiting for Yuji to give you some kind of resolve and to tell you that everything was going to be alright like he always did. You continue to wait for Yuji to tell you that it was just a joke, just a dream, just anything but reality. But he doesn't. He doesn't because the night was quiet and the volume was loud enough for both him and Fushiguro to hear. The pink-haired boy stands idly. He thinks the worst too and you could tell; the look was evident in his eyes.

"Yuji?" Your voice was weak.

Yuji knows what you're trying to ask of him but he won't tell you what you want to hear. Because he doesn't know himself. The boy shakes his head slowly and it makes you shake your head too. Your lip quivers.

"No....." You say under your breath, "Let me borrow your phone...."

You wanted to try again. Maybe you'll reach him this time, but even if you don't, you didn't care. You just wanted to hear his voice again; even if it was just an automated recording.

Yuji doesn't give you his phone though. He couldn't bear to see you torture yourself any longer. So you look to Fushiguro, but he sides with Yuji.

"No....." You shake your head again and repeat. Denial. That's what this is and you befriend it.

Fushiguro reaches out to you. He remembers the voicemail that Gojo left. He decides it's a good time, "It's for you."

The raven-haired boy takes your hand. He places the device on your palm and you look down at the screen. You hesitate; you're not sure if you want to know. You look back to Fushiguro and his eyes let you know that it was your decision to make. The urge to hear his voice overrides all. You press play and the phone goes to your ear. It was a short message. Your arm falls back down to your side. Your lip trembles. Fushiguro's arms go around you and you finally cry. And not from the words your boyfriend left behind but more so from the fact that this may just be the last time you'll ever hear his voice again.