Chapter 14

That morning I'm careful to sneak out before she wakes. I've realized what exactly I have to do.
The gravel crunches under my feet with each step. I can hear my heart beating in my ears and see how my handshake. I keep my breaths even and measured despite their want to be erratic. I walk up to the door and stealing my resolve manage to turn the knob. The creak of the door sounds loudly in my ears.

  She hears it too. She sits on the couch covered in her waste and hungover. She rises from the couch readying herself for her tirade. A tirade that never comes.

  "Enough!", I scream. She stumbles a bit taken aback at the sound of my voice.

  "I'm sick of your shit", I say, "I don't owe you my obedience, my servitude, or my life". She tries to cut in but, I allow my voice to rise over hers.

  "I won't sell happiness for your comfort ever again", I start to advance towards her gaining confidence as I do.

  "In fact, I'm going to tell everyone all the awful shit you've put me through, and then I'm going to spend the rest of my life with my beautiful mate", I'm inches from her face. For the first time, she's scared of me and it makes me feel good.

  "Your father would be livid to see what an awful sinner you are", her voice is weak as she says this.

  "Then I wonder what he'd think of you", I growl. She gasps raising her hand to slap me. I catch her hand before it can make contact.

  Her eyes widen at my action, "you ungrateful little skank!". She tries to yank her hand back but, I don't let her.

  "You will never hurt me again", I say. I push her away from me and she falls to the floor. I turn away she screams after me while I ascend the stairs.

  I go up to my room to grab all my belongings that I can manage.

  Once again downstairs I took one last look at my sniveling mother.

  "Who will take care of me", she whines. I don't answer her. I pull the door open and slam it closed behind me. With it, I finally feel ready to enter the next chapter of my life.

  I decide to swing by the clinic. The bell chimes over my head. Dr. Azure looks up at me first with a smile and then confusion.

  "Why are you carrying all your clothing?", What a sight I must be. I stand before her battered and half-mad carrying everything I own.

  "I moved out", I say simply, "do you have any bags or boxes I can borrow?".

  "What do you mean you moved out?", she asks.

  "You know I needed to get out of there", I respond.

  "Yes", she says, "but, are you ready to be on your own?".

  "I'll need to get a job But, I'll manage", I say. She nods at this considering my words.

  "Well I could hire you here", she says. I smile and nod my thanks. She beckons me to follow her to the back room. We load all of my belongings into two boxes.

  "Does Yanis know about this?", she asks.

  I shake my head, "not yet". Dr. Azure seems to understand.

  "You can leave this stuff here while you go sort out whatever comes next", she says.

  "Thank you", I pull her into a hug, "for everything". She hugs me back and I'm on my way.

  I follow the path to Hope's old house knowing I'll find him there. I knock at the door. Looking around I realize Will has replaced the siding again.

  The door opens to reveal Will's hopeful face. His expression falls at seeing me.

  "Sorry I'm still just hoping it will be her", he says, "you aren't here to harass me are you?". I shake my head no and at that, he invites me in. I follow him to sit at the kitchen table.

  "So why are you here", he asks.

  "I would like to be assigned a house", I request. He quirks an eyebrow at that.

  "You're leaving home?", he asks.

  "I already left it".

  "Why aren't you moving in with your mate then?".

  "I don't think we're ready for that", I tell him. He nods his understanding.

  "Alright", He pulls a paper from his pocket writing something on it.
He hands the paper to me.

  "This will be your new address", I take it from his hand and he walks me back to the door.

   "Thank you", I tell him, "and I'm sorry". His head drops and I know he knows what I mean. I walk away towards my new life.

 I walk away towards my new life