Chapter 20

Yanis POV:

"Please talk to me", I beg her. I managed to get Cassie back to my house. I set a mug in front of her and tip my kettle to pour the steaming water. She watches me as I reach into my cabinet for the tea leaves. Fruit teas are usually my favorite but, I think all the obvious tension demands a relaxing peppermint. I spoon the leaves into the infusers and return to the table. I set them into the mugs and watch the water change clear, then yellow, then amber.

"What is going on?", I plead again, "who is Dr. Azur? Who was that man? What's going on with your dad?". She sighs at all my questions and takes a sip of her tea.

"This isn't fair on me", I tell her, "why do you keep doing this to me?".

"I'm sorry", she says.

"Please, why won't you just let me in?", my voice cracks.

She stares at her lap, "I need to go find my dad". I blink taking in what she just said. I don't understand most of what she and that man talked about but, I do know what she's proposing could get her killed.

"I don't want to be alone", my voice is small.

"I'll come back", her hand goes to my shoulder. I know her promise is fake. She keeps comforting me but, I don't hear a single word. My mind is spinning with yet another loss. My dad, my mom, my sister, and her all gone from my life. I'm willing to bet Dr. Azur is gone too.

She can't go. I couldn't handle it. I've heard rumors about mating practices and of course there are the bits she's told me.

I walk around the table to stand next to her. I lean down and press my lips desperately to hers. She responds surprised at my actions. I pull her body against me to set her on the table.

I feel my lips bruising against hers. I am clumsy and forceful but, she doesn't question it. I push open her legs and she allows me to stand between them. One hand caresses her inner thigh and the other holds to her waist.

She is unknowingly caged against my body. I trail my lips down her jawline to her neck finding the spot that makes her moan.

I hesitate a moment. I doubt she wants what I'm about to do. I don't fully understand the significance of a mark but, I know it's special. I also know my doing this would make it harder for her to leave me. For her to wander off and get herself killed.

I suck and nibble at the skin teasing her as I have a million times before. Then I press harder than before. It is only when my teeth first start to break skin does she realize what I'm doing.

She freezes at first. I feel warm thick blood dripping from my lips to stain her pale skin. She starts weakly slapping me away with whispered pleas to stop. It's too late though. She is marked. From everything I've learned I know I now just have to soothe the mark to heal her.

I withdraw my teeth and go to kiss her once again. Before I can, she pushes me back hard. I'm surprised at the action and stumble back. She stares at me with horrified eyes.

"What have you done?", she asks. Her face is patchy from tears begging to be shed.

"Cassie", I start, "I'm supposed to heal it". I take a slow step towards her.

"No", she shouts.

"It will scar", I remind her.

"I don't care", she reaches up to cover her still bleeding mark, "you will never touch me again".

"Cassie-", she interrupts me.

"You have no idea what you've just taken from me, from us", she clambers off the table. She starts to back away from me as if I were a wild animal.

"Please, don't leave me", I beg.

"I wish I'd never met you", she says making a break for the door. I don't run after her I just listen to the door slam behind her.

I stare at her now cooled cup of tea on my kitchen table. One more body to bury. One more person to forget about me. One more person leaving me behind. I should be used to this feeling.

My shaking hands lift her cup to my lips. The mint and copper taste washes down the lump in my throat.

 The mint and copper taste washes down the lump in my throat