Chapter 16

The past few weeks have been the best of my life. I started officially working at the clinic, and after a couple of paychecks, my place is starting to feel like a home. I stopped going to that church and shelter so I don't have to deal with the judgment anymore. I've completely managed to avoid my mother.

Best of all is Yanis. The two of us have finally started to bond as mates. We have a long way to go, but she makes me so unbelievably happy. It's hard not to spend every second away from her daydreaming about her.

The bell above the door rings drawing my attention.

I smile, "Hi Alpha, how may I help you". He takes a few steps towards me to stand at my desk.

"Hey Cassie", he says, "that other Alpha is coming tonight and I need some documents". My face drops a bit.

"Are you sure he's not a danger to your pack", I ask.

He sighs, "the way I've been running the place everything is a danger to this pack". I nod accepting his answer. Our pack has fallen into disarray since Hope rejected him. It's hard for a function with just one missing leadership figure, with us missing both it's a wonder we haven't fallen to shambles.

"Alright", I say, "what documents can I get for you?".

"I need Hope's medical records", he tells me. My breath pauses a moment.

"Are you sure?", I ask. I can't imagine what kind of horrors must be in her files.

He stares down at his feet, "He told me I need to confront my actions".

"Okay it will be just a moment", I tell him. I turn my attention from him to my computer. Luckily there aren't many Hopes in the pack. I click her file and pull up her documentation. Immediately I freeze unable to comprehend what I'm reading. This can't be right.

"Um Alpha", I start, "what was Hope's last name?". He looks all the more ashamed at my question.

"I don't remember", he says, "I haven't heard it since was six".

"What can you tell me about Hope's mother?", I ask. He looks a bit confused at my questioning.

"I don't remember much about her", he says.

"Did Hope have any other family?", my voice shakes as I ask him.

"No", he says, "Hope was completely orphaned after her parents". I stare helplessly at the screen. There's no way of rebuking this information.

"Why are you asking me so many questions about her?", he says before turning my monitor to face him.

"No, don't!", I shout. It's too late and I see the realization dawn on his face.

Hope Azure.

Paternity: Mr. Silas Azure.

Maternity: Dr. Marisol Azure.

Dr. Marisol Azure.

Dr. Azure.

Dr. Azure who gave up a daughter.

Dr. Azure who Hope trusted.

My Dr. Azure.

He growls, "where is she?". His eyes are dark and I can tell he has every intention of tearing her apart.

"Alpha don't", I say, "this isn't what Hope would want".

"Where is she!", he screams. He easily tosses my desk across the room. I want to run, but there's nowhere to go.

"Where is she!", he screams. He slams my back into the wall. his fingernails extend into claws where grabs my arms.

I cry as a hear the footsteps coming down the hall. Dr. Azure rounds the corner with concern clear on her face. She opens her mouth to speak, but Will is on her before she gets the chance.

He's about to rip out her throat when I scream, "Hope loved her". He stops just short of his goal. His body seems to quake with the effort of not killing her.

"Why did you abandon her?", he asks.

"Who?", Dr. Azure asks struggling to get out the word with so much of Will's weight pressing down on her.

"Your daughter", he screams. Her face crumbles at his accusation. She heaves huge ugly cries.

"I didn't have a choice", she wails, "he would have found us if I had kept her".

"Who?", Will screams, "who is he?".

"My mate", she whimpers.

He scoffs, "Hope's dad is long dead just like you should be".

"What are you talking about?", she asks.

"Your husband", he says. Her face changes from grief to confusion at his words.

"I had no relationship with him", she says.

"Bullshit!", Will scream grabbing her around the throat.

"You're his wife and the mother of Hope", he accuses.

"I'm not", she wheezes. Will screams again. There are no words. This is a sound from deep in his soul. He screams his anger and anguish. He screams all he is.

"You are Dr. Marisol Azure", he says, "you are the mother of Hope Azure". Finally Dr. Azure seems to understand what's going on.

"I'm not Dr. Azure", she says.

"What?", my own voice surprises me. I had forgotten myself. Alpha loosens his grip on her.

"What do you mean you aren't Dr. Azure?", he asks.

She shakes her head, "no, I was forced to assume the identity of a recently deceased woman in your pack".

"You're lying", he says.

"I begged your parents for asylum", she says, "I never wanted to know whose life I had taken".

"Why did you have to run here", he asks.

"I was carrying my mate's child", she lets out a shaky breath, "he would have killed us both".

"Who's your mate?", I ask fearful of the answer.