Chapter 19

The sun rises through the trees painting the field in reds and yellows. I rise with it. The walk to the clinic is dreadful. I have no idea what might be waiting for me.

  The bell chimes over my head spooking Yanis. She was bent over the thrown desk trying to get it back into place. Despite everything that happened my heart sings at the sight of her.

  "Do you need some help with that?", I ask.

  "Yes please", I make my way to her and press a quick peck to her cheek. She smiles at my gesture before focusing on the task at hand.

  We manage to get the desk back in place but, find the computer and monitor beyond repair.

  "What happened yesterday?", She asks. I wince at the memory.

  "Something terrible", I'm unable to tell her anything beyond that. She sighs at my non-answer.

  "Where's Dr. Azur?", She asks.

  I consider my answer, "dead, apparently for the last eighteen years". She turns to me shocked.

  "What are you talking about?", she asks, "I saw her like two days ago".

  "That woman was not Dr. Azur", I say.

  "Then who was she".

  "I don't know", I tell her.

  "Can you tell me what you do know?", She asks.

  Before I can answer the bell chimes. I turn to face Alpha Grimm. I angle myself in front of Yanis ready to protect her from another potentially angry Alpha.

  He notices but, only sighs at me before taking a seat in one of the waiting chairs. He closes his eyes and sits there a long while.

  I almost think he is asleep when he speaks, "you're the girl from yesterday right?". I blink surprised at his question.

  "Yes sir", I tell him.

  "Please, don't call me that", he cringes, "you wouldn't call her that". He opens his eyes lazily glancing me over.

  "You care for her don't you?", He asks. I nod my head in response.

  "Can you tell me about her?", He asks.

  "Like what?", I ask.

  "Anything". I think about his request. Who is she? I realize I never knew much about her. Her patience and kindness overshadowed any other trait she may have had.

  "She's an amazing woman", I tell him, "she's cared for so many people and I don't know where I would be without her".

  "Is she happy?", he asks. I think about my answer. Is she happy?

  "I think she's lonely", I tell him, "she misses the missing Luna and her daughter".

  He smiles, "it was a girl?".

  "I think her name is Aurora", I say.

  "Do you know where she is?", he asks.

  "No, and I don't think Dr. Azur knows either", his face falls again.

  Despite myself, I can't help but ask, "what's Dr. Azur's real name?".

  "I don't know", he mumbles. I feel Yanis's hand go to my back trying to comfort me. I know she has no idea what's going on but, obviously realizes something terrible has happened. With her comfort, I steel myself to ask him the question I desperately need.

  "My father disappeared when I was young", I start, "I was told you might know where he is". He grimaces sensing the accusation in my statement.

  "What was your father?", He asks. 

  "He was a scholar", he sighs at my answer.

  "I remember when this pack sent its scholars to educate my people", he starts, "it sparked an uprising that needed dealing with". Goose pimples rise on my arms but, I do not interrupt.

  "We stole a sense from each and turned them, rogues. I didn't realize how awful it was until she left", he says, "The rogues were driven further into madness and began to kill humans. We rounded all we could and gave them my hunting ground to keep them and others safe. If he is still alive he is feral and trapped somewhere on the grounds". My breath stills. My father is either feral or dead and in my heart, I already know which one.

  He stands from his chair, "thank you, and I'm deeply sorry for the damage I have caused you and your family. I know it can never replace what I have taken but, I will have any reparations you request ready". The bell chimes again as he leaves.

  Yanis's arms circle my waist and she whispers me comforts. I am not sad though, I have been sad for much too long. Now, I am determined.

 Now, I am determined