Chapter 10

A week later, things were a lot better. I'm working with dad at the company, Damien and I have been carefully tip toeing over the fact that he's the father, and Lily's getting along with Damien. I even start to trust Damien enough to leave Lily with him for an hour or so, to meet up with Thalia so we can have some girl time as just the two of us. Things finally seem to fall into a routine.

"Dad?" I ask, knocking on his office door.

"Come in, sweetie," Dad calls back.

I open the door and step inside, closing the door behind me.

"What's up?" Dad asks, looking up from his computer.

"Thalia's taking care of Lily while I work, and I just got a call from her. She says that Lily's a little sick," I say, looking at my phone worriedly.

Thalia had indeed called me moments before, and I'd rushed to Dad's office to tell him I'm leaving.

"Go check on her. I'll see you tomorrow," Dad assured me.

I nodded and quickly left, getting into my car and driving to Thalia's house. I knock on the door when I get there, nervously twisting my fingers together as the door finally opens revealing Thalia holding Lily.

"Hey. She fell a sleep a little while ago, but she's running a slight cold. I just thought you should know in case something happened," Thalia said quietly as Lily stirred from where she was sleeping on Thalia shoulder.

"I'll take her back to Damien's house. Dad said I can leave early," I said, holding out my hands.

Thalia gave Lily over to me, and I rocked her in my arms and quietly told Thalia that I'd see her later and then went back to my car. I buckled Lily into her car seat and drove to Damien's house, putting Lily in her crib before coming back down and pouring myself a glass of orange juice.

I was just taking the first sip and was walking back to my room to check on Lily and decide weather or not to take her to the doctor when I heard a thump, coming from Damien's room. The master bedroom. The room we used to share. I freeze, my mind flashing back to that memory a year ago, when everything had gone wrong.

Flashback

I came home from work early because I was a nauseous, a pregnancy symptom. I hadn't known I was pregnant then. I came home and sat down on the couch, leaning my forehead against the pillow and closing my eyes as I propped my feet up on the couch as well.

I was just about to fall asleep when I heard a thump upstairs. My eyes flicked open and I glanced over at the staircase. No one was supposed to be home. Mrs. C. had taken the day off and Damien was still at work.

"Maybe I just imagined it," I said to myself, unwilling to get up when I was feeling so tired.

But then there was another thump.

I stood up slowly and crept up the staircase. All the doors were closed and I was just about to go back down, thinking I was imagining things when I heard a loud moan coming from the master bedroom.

I crept up to the closed door, feeling my heart shutter as I begged every force in the world that my suspicion was wrong. I slowly opened the door, and what I found inside made my heart shatter into a million pieces.

Two naked people. A bimbo bouncing on Damien as they both moaned in pleasure.

A small noise escaped me and Damien's eyes shot to the door. To where I stood.

He rolled his eyes when he saw me.

"We're done," He said flatly.

I fought back tears and my knees knocked into each other, but I clenched my jaw, forcing myself to turn on my heel and leave. 

Leave everything behind, from the clothes I wore to the life of a heiress.

End of Flashback

I blink back against the memory, forcing it away and walk over to the door. I knock on the door, waiting for an answer.

"Come in?" I hear Damien's voice say.

I open the door, ignoring the weird feelings rushing through me as I open my old bedroom. My eyes find Damien sitting at his desk, watching me with a raised eyebrow.

"What're you doing home? Shouldn't you be at work?" I ask, closing the door behind me and stepping inside.

"I left early. There was nothing for me to do," Damien said.

"Oh..." I said awkwardly.

After a long moment, Damien stands up, walking a little closer, "Did you need something?"

"No. I just heard something, and I didn't think you were home so I wanted to make sure everything was okay," I explained.

"And why'd you knock if you thought I wasn't home?" Damien asks, cocking his head a smirk tugging at his lips.

I blink. Why did I knock?

"Because...if you were at here, I didn't want to...interrupt anything," I said carefully, back up a step.

My back hits the door and I freeze. Frick! Why'd I close the door?! Panic mounts inside me as Damien steps even closer.

"And what did you think you'd be interrupting?" He asks.

I swallow hard, my knees going weak.

"Eve?" He asks, when I don't answer.

That darn smirk widens.

"Damien..." I beg.

He's so close. Too close. And I'm pressed up against the door. This can't end well. 

Damien braces his arms on either side of my head on the door.

"Yes?" He croons.

"Don't..." I plead.

Because if he does anything I'll lose all self control and forget that my decision affects Lily as well.

But he leans even closer. 

His lips an inch away from mine.