Chapter 28

Thalia arrived momentarily and apologized immediately, pulling me into a hug. But I shoved her away, demanding answers.

Apparently, Thalia had been outside when we'd called, leaving Valerie, Mom and Lily inside. She'd gone on a walk, and by the time she'd come home, Lily was gone, leaving behind Mom and Valerie, who were both unconscious, a crack in each of their heads from whatever had hit them to knock them out.

Not knowing what to do, Thalia had quickly thrown them back in her car and rushed to a hospital, one that was slightly farther away from the one we were currently in.

Thalia's phone had died, and she had left Mom's and Valerie's back at the house, so she'd had to borrow a phone from someone else at the hospital to call me just now.

I sank back into my seat, covering my face.

"So...Lily's gone...?" I ask quietly.

"I'm really sorry, Eve. We'll get her back, I swear. It was my fault, I should have stayed. I thought that Damien kept a bunch of guards around the place, so I thought that everything would be fine. Obviously not. I'm so sorry," Thalia says, wrapping her arms around me.

I start trembling as I cry, "Dad's gonna die."

"What?!" Thalia asks, pulling away.

She yanks my hands away from my face, forcing me to look at her.

"Dad's dying," I repeat, sobbing.

Thalia's face goes pale and she seems to be unable to process that.

She swallows hard, "He...he's d-dying???"

I nod, still crying.

Thalia blinks a couple of times, then gives me another hug, squeezing me tightly.

"What am I gonna do without him, Thalia?" I ask. "It's my fault. If I had told him to stay back and said that Damien and I would handle everything, none of this would've happened."

"No," Thalia says, hugging me tighter. "It's not your fault. You're gonna be fine. I'm so, so sorry, Eve. I'm sorry."

Her own body shakes from the force of tears.

Dad had been like a father to Thalia as well, since her own dad was an alcohol addict and was rarely around.

"How long does he have left?" Thalia asks, slowly pulling away.

I breathe in deeply, trying to focus and reorder my thoughts, "Six hours to two days."

Thalia nods slowly.

"Okay...okay..." She says.

"How's Mom and Valerie?" I ask.

"They're fine. They got the bleeding from their heads to stop, so they should wake up soon. And the minute they wake up, I'll bring them straight here, as soon as the doctor can discharge them," Thalia says.

"That's gonna take forever!" I cry. "They usually keep patients under observation for hours."

"They can't keep them there. I'll bring them here," Thalia promises.

She wipes away the tears on my face, "You'll get through this, okay? Where's Damien, by the way? I need to have a word with him."

"He...left to go search for Lily and find out where all the guards around the house were when all of this happened," I say.

She nods, "That's good."

I slowly manage to calm down, just as the doctor comes back towards us.

"He woke up," The doctor says, meeting my worried gaze. "He's asking to see you, Evelyn. I'm afraid your friend can't come in as well, and you can't stay for long, but as soon as he's stable, we'll let all close family and friends in."

"Is he in pain?" I ask, my voice wobbling.

The doctor pauses for a beat, then says, "A little bit, but we have an IV attached to him, that's giving him some pain killers and a mild dose of a muscle relaxer so that he doesn't move too much."

The thought of him in pain sends another fit of tears trickling down my cheeks.

"Go and see him, Eve. I'll be right here," Thalia says, gently squeezing my shoulder.

It takes me a moment to nod and turn back to the doctor, trying to control the tears.

"I want to go see him," I say.

He nods and leads me down the hall and through a door, weaving through hallways until we reach a blue door.

He opens in.

And inside, laying on the bed with a bunch of wires and pipes attached to him, wearing a hospital gown, is Dad.

Hey Guys! Sorry for the late update. I've been dealing with a lot the past couple of days, and I just found out that my Mom has cancer, so I haven't had much time to write a lot. Thank you all so much for the comments and votes, I really appreciate it. It might take me a while to update again, and I really hope everyone can understand. Thank you so much.