34. Conman says...

They left the casino in the early hours of the morning , Ace intoxicated and Victoria drunker than she had ever been , she remembers slurring something about more vodka as Ace hailed a taxi for them.

The taxi had taken them from a street of an unpronounceable name , she laughs strangely at the conversations making loud English interjections. He had half guided , half-hauled her into the lift , which could be considered as an accomplishment seeing as he himself was not sober altogether. They both staggered into the corridor. She unnecessarily pointed out each piece of gold-work and asked if Ace was the great grandson of "the tsar with the beard".

Upon entering the room , she went on an adventure of finding her new bedroom and upon selecting the first at her disposal she fell back , arms outstretched , numb with vodka and rebellion and something dangerously close to hope.

She blacks out two minutes later.

Now she is suffering the consequences of frivolity , she doesn't particularly want to move from the white sheets , but she is curious as to how exactly the city is so silent . Moscow has a population of twelve million unlike London , there is no background hum of traffic.

Clapping both hands to temples to contain the aching in her skull , she swings her legs out of bed , iced marble on bare feet. It's shockingly cold , a searing jolt to the system. Padding on the balls of my feet to avoid contact , she makes her way over to the curtains and curing softly at the pain this one movement brought.

 Padding on the balls of my feet to avoid contact , she makes her way over to the curtains and curing softly at the pain this one movement brought

White light scalds.

She squints through the agony in her head and realizes the sun doesn't help. But she is proved wrong , as that isn't sunlight , its glittering reflection of snow , snow exposed to sunlight , fresh and powdered diamond lay on the ground. It is a merciful miracle , for it takes her perception of the city earlier and softens it. From the Window she observes the cars , brave or foolish to attempt driving in the snowfall. She watches in childlike awe , because she hadn't witnessed snow , not of this depth and cleanliness.

In the background she hears the door creak at its hinges , then the soft sound of bare feet on marble.

"Oh , good morning , Lisichka!"

~*~*~

"Good , god" Victoria says as she holds up the fur coat , a pale tanned , trimmed with dark strands "They must've skinned the whole neighborhoods cats for this one"

Ace laughs and brushes off the snow from his blazer "It's not real"

Victoria flips the coat and observes the price tag "For this price , it should feel like it is"

The shop itself is vast there , and everyone who enters through the doors own something made of fur. She hadn't passes a male or female not wearing a thick furred hat.

She had left her room rather embarrassingly in the morning , a result of her drunken idiocy. Ace was sitting in front of the television , sipping his undiluted coffee, Upon her arrival she steeled herself for humiliation and greeted him , "Morning"