Arc 1 Finale: Special Chapter: A Calm After The Storm

Disclaimer: I don't own Gate or Nihon-koku Shoukan as it belongs to its rightful owners.

Arc 1 Finale: Special Chapter: A Calm After The Storm

"In every aftermath of a story, there's always the time for everyone to recuperate and regather their own selves before proceeding to the next one."

-New World Journal

It was the sunset itself that became the main reason for everyone to halt their own tracks. Horse-driven wagons, carriages, and carts, formed into a very long line during the duration of the journey, which became a small hurdle for the Reconnaissance team as members would have to travel all the way back to just inform the villagers.

Fortunately, the two leaders of RCT 3 had foreseen it and ordered two of the LAVs to be stationed in critical areas of the line. One is in the middle of the line, and the other is at the end.

Once the signal was given, the other groups in the two LAVs would proceed to make a series of honks that would eventually alert the rest of the villagers, which it did.

"The Metal Forts! They are blowing the horns once again!"

"What could this actually mean?"

The small commotion did cause some concern among the locals. Such sounds would indicate that a new ordeal is approaching, or it could simply be the normal announcement of taking a short break. The group had been traveling for hours, and since they had left the land, minor issues such as several wagons becoming stuck in mud became one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome. They were able to overcome those obstacles with the help of the Men in Green's moving metal forts and a little magic from the mages themselves.

Rory had been a witness to these scenarios. Even she herself had to step out from the horseless carriages in order to help the villagers in need, mostly from a physical standpoint by unloading several chests, boxes, and baskets before they could take action.

The usual procedure was for Lelei or Cato to cast a spell to remove the wooden wheels from the muddy ground, and then the Men in Green's metal forts would do the next task by tapping into their own acceleration power, and with a thick rope tied to the wagons themselves, so that they could all be pulled easily without breaking or destroying anything. The Recon team saw this as an advantage for everyone.

A good way to solve the problem.

She couldn't recall how many times she had unloaded the green carriage to lend her assistance. But with this last announcement signaling another day's rest, a thought came into her mind.

"Pardon me, but mind if I ask a question?" She said garnering the attention of the Men In Green, who was with her inside the metal carriage.

"How far are we reaching Alnus Hill?" She politely asked.

"Almost there Ms. Rory, but we needed to stop the journey for a while, it's almost getting dark." Itami was the one to explain this time around, in the midst of numerous voices coming from the radio.

Indeed, the continuous horns and radio chatters were enough to act as an alarm clock to get the rest of the members out from their own slumber, with the exception of Yuji, who had stayed awake for the past several hours observing the moving scenery outside.

"Damn, I was already having a good dream and nap!" Shino exclaimed, rubbing her eyes and fighting the minor irritations.

"Didn't expect you to be napping on Kurata's shoulder," Tomita remarked jokingly, causing the young woman to widen her eyes as she moved away from the Otaku soldier, albeit with a slight blush.