Chapter 12

Song listed at the top: The Hills (slowed & reverb)

I forgot all about my display of disgust towards Arius in his car when I went let my eyes wander to him every now and then while we held the auction

He was surprised, I could tell but so was I with my actions. How could I be so obvious?

I know how men take advantage of you here but instead of using my actions done on that night, Arius used the information so that I could do something about it too.

I don't believe anything anyone says, I don't believe what I see right away. All my judgement is made by me, by my experiences.

I don't completely trust him but then again, I have to. He is my only chance at survival.

But now, with his hand against my lips, my body pressed against his, my thoughts aren't one of danger, or the men outside that are ready to kill us on sight.

No.

I am surprised when I find myself thinking of his fingers wrapped around my neck, of him kissing me with that aggressiveness he carries.

It's too soon, it's too fast but I can't help it.

I can't help but let me emotions take over just a split second and let my eyes drop to his lips.

Just one split second.

One second is enough to feed my needy heart.

Enough for my desire for him.

It's enough but I can't pull my eyes away.

When my eyes look back at him, in his black eyes, my heart leaps.

"I'm sorry," I whisper to him before backing away quickly.

But my heart won't listen.

I need to stop.

I said I hated men, but I meant those ones in power that did me wrong. I didn't even know about Arius until few weeks ago and now I'm tied down to him.

I know he kills people; he is a dangerous weapon himself, the most prized asset for a Capo but in this case, Francesco having the power to kill anyone by just sending Arius on their trails. I should be afraid that I got stuck with a man like Arius but everything around him tells me there is something deeper than just Arius killing people and having a crew of people.

Hazera could be my key to this secret.

I killed someone too. Doesn't that make me a killer too? A murderer? Of course, it does.

Killing consigliere of Washington was because he had a hand in killing my mother. Him and the consigliere of New York.

Their old wrinkly faces laughing as they watched my mother beg them to let her go, to not do this, it's imprinted in my mind.