Chapter 23

Song listed at the top: Heat Waves by Glass Animals (slowed & reverb) or the Spotify playlist for Poisonous Lies. Link in bio

"You sick fucks, I won't let you get away with anything

"You sick fucks, I won't let you get away with anything." I watch from the slit of the door that is left ajar as my mama is bleeding out on the floor and the three men stand at her feet, wicked smiles on their faces.

"Yeah, of course darling, because you won't ever survive to do so," Camden crouches down to her level and despite the fact that she is injured to a point she can't stand, she still uses her last bits of energy to move away from him.

I thought they were dad's friends and they were nice to me. They bought me gifts and gave me kisses on the forehead. How could they do that to mama?

As much I wanted to help mama, I can't move from my place. They could hit me too and I won't be able to help mama once they leave.

Camden's eyes glint under the soft glow of the lamp that is near mama. His head is shaved, but he looks nothing like the friend that I thought I had. He doesn't look like the man who bought me flowers, roses specifically.

I bite the hand that I am holding in front of my face. Tears streaming down my face as I try to quieten my sobs, not knowing what to do and feeling utterly helpless as I watch them abuse mama over and over again as I watch.

My mind feeling numb, a headache forming as I try to keep my body in check.

After they are done beating mama, hitting her in the face and everywhere because they keep getting angry, I feel myself look away as I turn away from the door and run away towards another room so they can't hear me.

I can't hold it in. I just can't.

I thought nothing was going to harm us. Daddy would have kept us safe but he didn't.

He is not here. He is not helping mama.

Just as the door to the random room shuts, I let my hand fall from my lips and let the sobs break out. My body shivering with fear and my heart shattered. I cry and cry, cries ripping out of my throat as my heart hurts.

It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.

"I'm sorry mama," I cry out as my body  collapses on the floor. I can't even move myself.

"I'm so sorry," my plea comes out muffled as I bury my face in my hands.

I couldn't do anything. I ran away.

My eyes glisten over as I relieve the memory of feeling betrayal, heartbreak and being helpless.

I didn't expect myself to feel that again yet here I am. Still feeling the emotion as if I just woke up from the sleep and I'm back where everyone broke my trust. Because the last time I trusted someone, they took away the ounce of happiness that I had.