Life and Death

I watch my reflection smiling back at me

I watch my reflection smiling back at me. I am amazed. This is the moment where I'd panic. Run through all that could go wrong. Blame myself for being irrationally impulsive. I wait for the situation to sink in. But I am strangely calm.

Perhaps it is because I know that the guy outside will be doing everything in his power to prevent anything bad from happening.

Kriti, when did you begin to trust people so easily? I ask myself.

Since Ruturaj? I answer.

No there's no since. The answer is Ruturaj. He has this calm and composed manner which speaks to my nerves and makes me have faith in him.

As if on cue, I hear my phone beep.

Ruturaj
We'll be gone in two. Hang in there.

I can almost hear him say those words. The thought of him trying to type reassuring sentences under the watchful eye of Sai makes me feel a lot warmer.

Me
👍🏿👍🏿
I'm fine. Take your time. Don't fuss too much.

I send my own virtual reassurance to let him know that he can take it easy.

I'm studying the bathroom when my gaze falls on the bathtub and I sigh. You little bathtub, you have no idea how lucky you are.

Kriti?!

I laugh.

*Ping.*

We're on our way to the terrace. Rasta saaf hai 😉

I imagine Ruturaj winking. And for some reason I lose it. Between laughter I find myself typing...

Okay boss.😉

I leave his room, feeling better than ever.

******

"Okay, Akka, I have waited since the whole dinner to ask you this." Devi says, circling around me.

"Go ahead, ask it."

"What happened between Rutu and you, today?"

When will my sister learn to phrase sentences so that they sound a little less weird? And when will she stop calling him Rutu?

I shake my head vigorously. "Why are you assuming that something happened, baby girl?"

"Because since I opened the door, you have had this constant smile on your face and if you don't tone it down, Appa or Amma will surely notice it."

I think about it. I knew that Ruturaj's company made me happy but I didn't know that I could smile without my cheeks hurting. And my cheeks are perfectly fine. I recall Ruturaj's thoughtful side profile when I had asked him if everything was relative.  And as I catch my expression in the mirror, I understand what Devi means.