Muskurane ki wajah

Ruturaj

24th March, Chennai

24th March, Chennai. (The next day)

Kriti enters the room while I'm trying to help Deepak with the zip of his suitcase, which is stuck because...uh... let's say his suitcase doesn't have the space to put even an extra ball.

After noticing Deepak, her smile becomes professional.

"Umm, may I help you, Sir?" She asks me trying her best to hide her amusement.

Deepak gasps loudly.

"Sir?! Oh Kriti please! Chupane ki koi zarurat nahi hai, we know." He looks between her and me with a triumphant grin. DC yaar, shhh. I try to tell him with my eyes, to which he shrugs.

Kriti is staring at us with wide eyes. Deva. I am about to look down in order to hide my embarrassment when she lets out a laugh.

My turn to be shocked.

"Alright then, out you go." She pushes him playfully.

I feel something unusual happening to my stomach.

"All set?" She asks me once Deepak has left.

"Y-yes."

Relax Rutu. Relax.

"Great." I turn towards her to see that she's holding an envelope. She notices me looking at it and says, "Open this only after you reach Delhi." I take it in my hands, amused, curious and sad, all at the same time.

Kriti abruptly turns to walk away but decides against it. She retraces her steps and envolops me in a hug.

I rest my head on her shoulder, closing my eyes. Cementing the memory of her embrace. For the first time in my life I feel as if traveling is futile. Unnecessary. I'm moved to question who came up with the idea of playing matches in different stadiums? Couldn't we have all our home games at once? But no, that'd mean staying away from Kriti for longer durations.

"What are you thinking?" She asks without breaking the embrace.

"About the irony of life. It had been my dream to get introduced to the hectic life that comes with being an IPL player. I was looking forward to traveling to different cities, absorbing the different atmosphere, different energies but now... I don't want to go."

She pulls back enough to get a good look of my face. Her pained expression tells me that she knows. She knows that I want to stay right in this moment. With her.

With her right arm still around my waist, she takes my hand in her.

"You see this, Rutu?" She asks, pointing at our intertwined fingers with her eyes.

"Who says we can't have this when we're apart? I know that the past two months have made us habitual of each other's physical presence but now's the time to have faith in our spiritual presence. I know how important this tournament is for you. All I want is for you to enjoy it. Live it wholeheartedly. I'm not going anywhere. Plus someone once assured me that we'll have many such moments together."

Before I can bend down, she lifts herself on her tiptoes to gently press her lips on my forehead.

I swallow, drawing strength from her encouraging smile.

We are forced to pull apart when we hear someone knock at the door.

She gives my hand one last squeeze before leaving.

9 days. Just 9 days, Rutu.

*******

25th March, 2019. Delhi.

We've reached Delhi. Entering another hotel with different staff is bittersweet. As new attendants greet us, I'm reminded of Sara and Divya. And Kriti. In that lovely saree. I try not to feel too disheartened.

Before we're handed our keycards, the head of management, Aditya addresses Mahi Bhai, "Sir, I have shifted your rooms to the 5th floor."

We look at him, puzzled. He nods knowingly.

"5th floor, that's surprising, we've always been given the topmost floors in order to avoid any interaction with the fans." Remarks Watto, echoing my thoughts.

"Yes Sir, but we were requested by the HoM of our Chennai branch, Kritika Pillai, to make accomodations on the 5th floor. But don't worry about the interactions Sir, we'll take care of that"

Kriti? Did she-oh my god! For me? I search for Mahi Bhai's eyes. He nods in affirmation. Deva. For the first time, I feel what she had promised. She's indeed here, in spirit.

Micromanaging things for my comfort.

I can't wait to open her envelope.

********

I find three letters inside the envelope. Each with different titles. Delhi. Mumbai. Hyderabad. A wide smile spreads on my face. Trust Kriti to be prepared.

I start reading.

Dear Rutu,
You must have reached Delhi if you're reading this. And if I know you well, you'll be laughing at my antics. Yes Rutu, I love planning. And I love it even more if it's for you.

I'm so excited for you! And I also look forward to hearing the travel stories. Who's the heavy sleeper? How was it at the airport? What did you do during the flight? Did Sai let you rest? Everything. But those details can wait for some time.

I'm writing this letter to let you know something I observed. You remember the first day you walked in the hotel? You looked intimidated, uncomfortable and wanted to hide. Here's me reminding you how far you've come. From that Rutu to this Rutu whom I saw yesterday, chatting comfortably with Faf. (yes I saw you both when I was leaving the conference room) You've come a long way from not knowing your place to finding one. And you have a long way to go.

All I want you to know is that you have it in you. When you speak about cricket, your passion, your love for the game shows in your eyes. Not only CSK but the world of cricket is lucky to have you. And as I always say, it's only a matter of time until people realise this.

Don't worry about me. You've given me enough to last the days you're not here. Now's the time to give your all to cricket.

And anytime you feel like talking, call. Or drop a text, or your usual warm voice notes.

I'm here.

All my warmth,
Kriti.

My immediate instinct is to press the letter to my chest. I could hear her voice as I read the letter. I'm touched. And determined. After sending a quick voice note describing my experience and a video giving her a flying kiss, I leave my room with my kit.

Kotla, here I come.

*****

A/n - A double update 😳.
There you go ictmadfam