Poison and Wine

9th April, 2019, Chennai.

I am tracing the lines of his hands when he sighs for the third time.

"This is going to be the most difficult goodbye of my life."

Likewise, Ruturaj.

I hold the words in my mouth, knowing that if I utter them, it'd be even more difficult for him to let go. Instead I lean in to give him a hug.
We hear a few whistles and claps. Now that everyone is awake, we can't escape their smirks and comments.

Sakshi Ma'am, walks towards me and whispers, "You know, there's one way to reduce the number of goodbyes."

I look at her puzzeled.

"Marry him." She says with a mischievous smile. I feel my cheeks getting warm.

The mischief disappears as she becomes serious and gives my hand a squeeze and says, "It's not easy, Kritika. But I'm proud of the way both of you are handling it." She looks at me and then at Rutu.

Thala walks towards our little group with a serious expression and we both know that we can't delay anymore. It's time for them to go.

Rutu puts his hand on my cheek and brings my forehead closer to plant a kiss. I see Thala putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Take care, Kriti."

"You too, Rutu."

And as the swarm of yellow tshirts, dresses and skirts moves away from me, I close my eyes and pray for their safe journey.

******

11th April, 2019, Chennai (2 days later)

I'm preparing the slides for an upcoming presentation when Devi taps on my shoulder.

"Akka, I think you should have a look at this."

She's holding her phone for me to see.
I close my tabs and take it in my hands to see a picture of…. Ruturaj giving me a forehead kiss?!

The picture has the caption - "CSK Cricketer spotted with his girlfriend at the Meenambakkam airport."

I make the mistake of reading some comments.

"Isn't she too dark for him?"

"Who is she?"

"Who is he?"

"Nice couple 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨"

"How old is she?"

"She looks hot in that blue dress."

"Wow, never seen such PDA by a CSK player."

The last comment plays in my head. Now I understand why Thala had looked at Rutu sternly after he kissed me on my forehead. In our emotions, we forgot that despite the tight security, someone from the media could always be present. Damn. Can't even express ourselves freely without being mindful of the media now.

"Don't pay attention to the comments Akka," Devi takes the phone from my hand.

"The people who engage in such discussions either spew poison or comment shamelessly as if they're high. And as if the imaginary wineglass in their hands puts them in the position to comment on someone's life."

"And by the way, if you look properly, your face isn't even visible." Devi says, in her attempt to sooth me.

I follow her hands to see that my hair have hidden my face.

"Plus, the media account that has published this has 417 followers, which isn't a lot for a group of journalists."

"And they published it on the same day, yet there are only 208 people who've viewed this. You both are really lucky that this didn't land in the hands of some professional photographer or journalist."

She has a point, we were lucky this one time.

I scroll, and see that their page usually publishes such "exclusive airport appearances" with superficial details and blurry pictures. Even though my breath is calm, blood boils within me. Not for myself though.

"CSK Cricketer? Seriously, Devi? They didn't even bother to find his name before publishing this! Look at their audacity! CSK Cricketer...my foot, Ruturaj Gaikwad he is, you get that. Someday, you'll be yearning for his one photograph," I rattle angrily at the phone screen.

"Goals." I ignore Devi's comment and ask,

"By the way, how did you find this, huh?"

"Well I follow #ruturaj since I like keeping an eye on my sister's man and his social media appearances. My way of looking out for my sister."

I roll my eyes fondly. And beckon her for a hug.

Thank God it was Devi who saw the photo. Because I can't imagine what would have happened if Amma or Appa would have seen it. No, I can't risk them finding it out like this, I'll have to tell it to them myself before it's too late.

******

I'm kneading the dough in the kitchen with Amma when an idea strikes me.

"Isn't it fascinating, Amma, we can shape this dough and make most of the choices in our lives but can't help who we fall in love with."

That was quite sudden and somewhat smooth, Kriti. I tell myself.

Amma studies my face for a second. Her eyes twinkle when she asks, "And who has made you fall in love?"

"Ruturaj Gaikwad." I admit with a sheepish smile.

She opens her mouth but closes it as her eyes catch a movement near the kitchen door.

I turn to follow the line of her sight and meet Appa's furious face.

Oh. God. 

******