Chapter Forty-Six

Sorry guys, this isn't the most exciting chapter! But it's important for the next few chapters, so bear with me. I also should inform you that Silence is coming to an end! I hope you've all enjoyed it so far. After that, I have plans to follow this up with another HG fanfiction, involving Pandora! So stay tuned for that! Read, comment, enjoy! I love you all :D

Over the next few weeks, I settled into a routine. Most mornings, I went on a long walk on the other side of the fence, before meeting up with Eddie at the lake. He’d pack a picnic for lunch, taking a mental note of all my favourite foods, although I never mentioned my love for Sherbet Lemons.

 As we grew to know each other, I discovered other past times he enjoyed, like fishing and gardening. It became easier and more bearable spending time with him, and we began to visit each other’s house. Valeria and Eddie’s parents were very hospitable, and Eddie got on well with my father. Often on Sundays, we’d garden together or I’d teach Eddie to play the piano. It was easy to believe that I was happy, but my past clung to me desperately. My nights were riddled with nightmares and blurry vision as I stumbled to Drew’s house at all hours, seeking comfort. And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t love Eddie. Not when my heart was still with Logan.

 It rained one Sunday afternoon, so Eddie and I cancelled our gardening plans for the day. It meant I had a day of freedom to visit my old home and collect some things. My boots sloshed in the muddy puddles as I took a short cut through Clara Thompson’s farm land. After clambering over a fence, it was only a minute or so before my old brick house came into view. A few houses away, I could see the Golding’s manor. I had only seen the Mayor once since arriving home, and I dreaded doing so again. I couldn’t bear to see the heartbroken look in his eyes under his cheery façade. A look I’d seen in the eyes of most of the people I loved recently.

 The door to the house had been locked, but I found the window with the faulty hatch at the back of the house and crawled through easily, ending up in the kitchen. Barely anything had changed since I was last there, but I felt as though I was in a stranger’s house. My finger ran along the kitchen worktop, collecting a little dust as I did so.

 I passed through into the living room, where Mother’s patchwork blanket was strewn across the couch. I imagined her and father cuddled together as they watched the Games, the blanket offering some comfort. And then I remembered that Father had been alone. I had to remind myself that Mother was gone.

 Suddenly desperate to get out of there, I grabbed the blanket and wrapped it around myself. I gathered a few personal belongings as I did a quick round of the house. A wedding photo of my parents. Jonah’s rattle from when he was a baby. A pocket watch of my Father’s. Then I left, in the knowledge that I wouldn’t return. I was ready to leave that part of my past behind at least. Besides, I had something I needed to do. A second destination. I headed straight for the Golding’s house.

 When the Mayor answered the door, I tried to imagine what he saw. Did he see a small girl with hollow eyes and a broken heart? Or a girl who didn’t save his only son?

 Without a word, he smiled, and silently stepped back, inviting me in. I took off my boots the blanket still wrapped around my shivering shoulders. The Mayor walked off and I had no choice but to follow him. I found myself once again stood before a piano. The Mayor’s hands were spread idly across the keys as he softly played Jonah’s memorial song.

 “The song reminds me that he’s safe now,” the Mayor murmured, knowing he didn’t need to specify who he was talking about. There was no hatred in his voice, no fury in his eyes as he spoke to me. He didn’t resent me for living.

 “They all are,” I whispered back. I watched for a few minutes as he played, the music enthralling and soft. When he stopped, I snapped back to reality. I had a favour to ask him.

 “Would you help me write a song? I think you’ll understand why. For him.”

 Of course, the Mayor agreed. What I didn’t tell him was that the song would be what changed our lives forever. I had a plan forming, and the song was the key to the beginning.

Silence [The Hunger Games]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें