Chapter Twenty-Seven

Under the intense rage, I vaguely felt pain for the loss of Kai. Kai. So sweet and caring. So unconcerned about himself. So painfully responsible for his sisters at the age of just fifteen. Killed instantly.

 I could barely see through my tears, but I stood shakily, and located Kai’s murderer. A girl stood, bow in hand, trembling at the sight of me. She turned and ran through the foliage.

 “Stay here,” I growled at Logan, knife already at hand. Then I chased her.

 It’s fortunate she was so slow and weak. Had she been stronger, she probably would have killed me the way that I dealt with her. I leapt on her from behind, and we tumbled to the ground, thrashing and kicking at one another, battle cries ripping my throat. I beat her with my fists, until she finally became still enough for me to plunge my knife into her throat. Then, turning my back on the girl, I left her to die, and returned to Kai’s side, sobbing. Logan sniffed, and patted my shoulder.

 “Let’s not leave him like this,” he whispered. Quickly, he dragged Kai out the water, knowing the hovercraft would soon arrive to take him away. I watched helplessly as Logan got to work. He closed Kai’s eyes and took off his own jacket. In a swift gesture, he pulled out the arrow, causing me to gasp in horror, but he calmly dressed Kai in the jacket and zipped it up, covering the damage.

 “Come and say goodbye, Raven,” Logan said softly, taking my hand and guiding me over. I wiped my face on my sleeve, hearing the cannon for the girl I killed.

 Out of his pocket, Logan produced his little diary, and handed it to me.

 “Write something for him. Something he’d like.”

 I took the book, knowing exactly what to write. It came to me like second nature.

 Above the stars, above the sky

 The angels will hear your cry

 Go into their loving, warm embrace

 I’ll meet you at the special place

 In a moment of inspiration, I added another few lines.

The water is deep, and you are gone

 But in my heart you fight on.

 Logan took the paper from me and wrote his own little note as I hugged Kai to me once more. Logan slipped the notes into Kai’s hands and closed his fists around the paper, before lifting Kai up again.

 “What are you doing?” I sniffed.

 “Giving him a proper send off,” he replied, nearing the water’s edge. I scurried after him, wanting to touch Kai once more.

 “Goodbye, Kai,” I said, kissing his forehead. And then Logan pushed Kai out into the water, and he floated away like a beautiful pond lily. Forcing myself to look away, I took Logan’s hand and we walked back to camp.