Chapter Fifteen

The next few days passed in a blur. After the first day of training, I stuck to Logan’s side as much as possible. I persuaded him to learn some combat skills, just in case. He preferred learning to use weapons that were more likely to injure than kill, so we spent a lot of time in the slingshot station. He promised that if we made it out of the bloodbath, he would teach me how to build a fire and how to recognize edible plants, which gave me more time to concentrate on weapons. Sometimes we were joined by Clementia at the stations, and it became normal for her to sit with us during lunch. Logan managed to keep himself from flirting with her, and during the evenings we’d sit together, watching old Hunger Games and chatting. I finally managed to get a few hours of sleep, though often I dreamt of unspeakable horrors. To add to my anxiousness, the private sessions with the Gamemakers were fast approaching, and I had no idea what I was going to do. The idea was to show your skills to the best of their ability, but I wanted to do something special. Something they’d never forget.

 The day of the private session arrived, but my idea only came to me during lunch. It was risky. Very risky. But when I discussed it with Logan, he thought it was a great idea.

 “Risks are memorable, especially if you do it right. Just make sure you do do it right, or you can guarantee the Gamemakers will make your life very difficult.”

 He was right. I couldn’t afford mistakes. He was called for his session a moment later, and I sat alone in the hall. A nerve wracking twenty minutes passed before my name was called, and I was led to the gymnasium. Most of the Gamemakers were sat slouched in their chairs, murmuring to each other and looking like they’d rather be anywhere else. I strode to the centre of the hall, chin held high, and nodded to the Head Gamemaker, who I knew to be called Rodolfus Chain. I stated my name, and was glad to hear that my voice was both clear and powerful. Chain noted something down, before looking at me expectantly.

 “Good afternoon, everybody,” I said “Please may I have a volunteer?”

 They all looked pretty surprised. It was practically unheard of for someone to interact with the Gamemakers, let alone ask them for assistance in their private sessions.

 “I’m afraid that won’t be possible,” Chain replied “No physical contact is-”

 “Oh, no, sir. There will be no physical contact, I promise,” I said quickly. Without the volunteer, I would have no plan. Luckily, a fat Gamemaker rose from his seat and began to make his way down the steps.

 “I volunteer,” he said “This had better be good.”

 I smiled “I can assure you, sir, that this will be the best, most exciting session of your career. Please stand in front of that target with your arms outstretched, like this,” I said, spreading my arms and standing with my feet apart in a star shape. Whilst he obeyed my request, I selected three good throwing knives.

 “What is your name, sir?” I asked, getting into position.

 “Brigham. Brigham Roach.”

 “Well Brigham, prepare yourself.” I aimed and quickly threw the knife. The Gamemakers let out a gasp, and then a sigh of relief as it landed on the target in between Brigham’s spread fingers. Several of them clapped, and I smiled, sending the next knife between his legs. Brigham laughed nervously, his forehead sweating.