Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl. Chapter 6

It was long after class and most of the clubs finished their meetings already. The cloakroom was getting empty. But Reina dawdled. Instead of going out, she peeked from behind a column at the people passing through the school's gate.

"Takenaka, what are you doing?"

She jumped, startled. But she knew that voice.

"Oh, it's you, Kageyama," she said with relief.

It was a while since they talked. After Kageyama and Hinata failed their tests, she met them and Yachi once to help them study for the makeup. But she was coerced to help Hinata with English this time around. It made her question why she got into this in the first place. Later, she only heard from Yachi about dramatic events in the volleyball club, but she didn't yet talk with Kageyama himself. He was disinterested in class like before and didn't seem to give her much attention either.

She looked around anxiously.

"You're acting weird. Why?" Kageyama asked.

"It's complicated."

He kept staring at her expectantly.

"Ok, well... do you know Yamato from class 4?"

"No idea who that is."

"He's the top student in our year—he scored top in most of the exams. But since I scored top in science, he came to see me a few times. At first, he seemed angry that a girl had beaten him. Afterward, it only got weirder, like he wanted to study with me. Or, according to him, teach me. And saying some stupid things like 'elite people should hang out with the elite.' Anyway, I'm trying to avoid him because he caught me walking home last time, and it was dreadful." She thought back to half an hour walk when she could only nod to Yamato's continuous boasting, unable to speak up. Acting like a timid, soft-spoken girl was a chore sometimes.

Kageyama was still looking at her without a word, his head bending more and more sideways in bewilderment.

"Because I was trying to walk a bit home. As an exercise, you know. But I certainly don't want his company along." She finally stopped talking. Wait, why am I ranting about other guys to Kageyama? It's pretty embarrassing. What would he think of me?

It was just not her day. Recently everything seemed so tedious. Earlier, she planned to impress Kobayashi-senpai with food that she made in Home Ec class. But when she saw how much he received from other girls and was giving it away to his friends, she decided she didn't want to be a part of that. It wasn't a charming event she envisioned. And this Yamato guy, she loathed him. Miyako and Sawako were envious that he talked to her. He was quite popular. But she just couldn't stand that arrogant prick.

"Are you sure you're ok to walk home alone?" was Kageyama's retort.

"I'm not a preschooler! I can manage. I need to anyway. Get accustomed to normal things. I've told you that I'm healthy now. I just need to get stronger." Now she felt stupid for talking about 2km walking challenges to someone who spends hours a day in intensive training.

"What are you doing here anyway, Kageyama? Is volleyball club over?" she asked to change the subject. He was still in training clothes, though.

"Oh, right. Do you know if the staff meeting has finished?"

"I saw no teachers leaving yet, so I don't think so."

Kageyama looked disappointed. "Yachi had to go home early today, so I wanted to check if Takeda-sensei was free. I need help with something. Everyone else is busy." Then he looked at her, and his face brightened up.