Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl. Chapter 11

Reina was standing alone in the foyer of Sendai City Gymnasium. She was waiting for the team. It was the second day of the Miyagi Spring Tournament prelims.

There was a reason why she was here early. She was doing a complete photo coverage of the Karasuno volleyball team journey in the prelims. Somehow, she persuaded her senpai from the newspaper that they had a real chance this time, and it would be good to follow that story. Either that or he was impressed with the pictures of previous matches. He even showed them to Karasuno alumni who worked in a local newspaper. The alumni liked them so much that she agreed to get Reina a press pass and let her tag along with her team. But Reina had to get here early and listen to a half-hour lecture (both yesterday and today) on what she can and cannot do on the court floor.

Reina was happy to oblige. This way, she could watch Karasuno matches and contribute in her own way. And, at least, see her boyfriend. Now that the tournament was on, she didn't expect Kageyama to pay her any attention.

Checking the settings on her gear, she spotted a familiar face through the lens. It was that Oikawa guy. It meant that Seijoh was here already. She lowered her camera to see that Oikawa was coming toward her, smiling.

"Hey, do you want my picture? You can take one from up close," he said.

"Sorry, but you're mistaken," Reina answered with a straight face.

"Oh, don't be shy. We can take one together. This uniform looks super cute. What school are you going to?"

"Seriously, I'm not interested-"

"Oikawa-san, I would advise against hitting on girls from our school. Especially this one. Her boyfriend might go berserk." Tsukishima appeared next to her. This guy never missed a chance for a snarky comment, for good or bad. Yamaguchi was giggling behind him.

"Ugh, Karasuno... Don't tell me one of them is your boyfriend..." The smile disappeared from Oikawa's face.

"I am. And what about it?" Kageyama showed up too. "See you on the court. Reina, let's go". He even put his arm on her shoulder as he led her away from shocked Oikawa.

She looked at Kageyama and saw that sinister smile of his, more scary than usual. Holding her laughter, she took out her phone and snapped a picture.

"Wow, that's a perfect couple photo," she said.

"Show me," Tsukishima asked. "You're right. This is something special. Well, if you'll ever want proof that he's just a thug that kidnapped you."

"But that's just what my smiling face looks like!" Kageyama said.

"And what are you so pleased about?" Reina asked him.

"That you're my girlfriend and not his. I feel like I bested him somehow." Kageyama didn't try to hide the truth.

"Well, I'm glad you're happy. And I appreciate the affection, but please let me go before a teacher sees us," she said coldly.

"Oh, right." He said and took back his hand, suddenly abashed. As if he didn't realize he was holding her shoulder this whole time.

"I need to go now. And you guys have to prepare for a match. Good luck, and see you later!" Reina said with a forced smile and walked away. She felt weird. It was the first time that Kageyama called her by her name. Too bad, it was just to razz up his archenemy.

But all of her resentment melted away when the match with Wakunan started. Damn, her boyfriend was so awesome that she decided she could forgive him for acting like a clueless idiot sometimes, or most of the time.

After the match, she met the team at the entrance. With quiet determination, she went to Kageyama's side.

"Congrats on winning." She awkwardly reached her hand up for a high five. She figured that if Yachi could high-five the guys, she could too.

"Right... thanks." He looked at her absent-mindedly. Instead of slapping her hand, he touched it softly and laced his fingers with hers. It didn't seem that he was planning to let it go. She felt her heart beating faster. It was the sweetest feeling ever. How was it possible that he could stir her up so easily, without even trying? Good thing that everybody was so preoccupied with Sawamura-senpai's return that no one noticed Kageyama was holding her hand. But it lasted only seconds. Soon, they all moved to go to the stands. Reina saw Yachi coming in her direction. She let go of Kageyama's hand in panic. He didn't seem to notice.

"How was it, Reina-chan? Did you take many pictures?" Yachi asked.

"Oh, yes." She said nervously." But it was the most nerve-wracking match so far."

"I don't know then if I should be glad or sorry that I missed so much of it. Are you coming with us to the stands?"

"Of course," she said, and they joined other first-years. "Oh, I need to send a message to Eri. My friends said that if the team keeps winning, they might come after class to watch the match."

"What?! Your classmates are coming to cheer?! How cool! To think I'll get to show off in front of a cool girl like Yoshida Eri!" Hinata was getting weirdly excited.

"Maybe you shouldn't have told him that. He'll become a nerve-wreck again," Kageyama said.

"Hmm? I think you all reached the point where you don't care about anything outside the court during the game," Reina was quite sure that, at least in Kageyama's case, nothing would stir his focus.

They sat together to watch the current match. Aoba Jousai was winning.

"Wow, he really knows well how to distribute the attacks," Reina said, looking at Seijou's setter.

"King-sama, watch out. Oikawa might yet snatch your girlfriend away," Tsukishima said.

Kageyama threw her an anxious glance.

"He's not my type, though," Reina said.

"Oh really? But he seems popular with girls." Tsukishima kept on teasing.

"He reminds me of my older brother too much. I mean... I love my brother, but dating such a guy would be annoying, I guess."

Oikawa was now serving. His fangirls were screaming all over the place. Kageyama grunted.

"What's up, King-sama?" Tsukishima asked. "Maybe now you're envious not only of Oikawa's skills but also of his fanbase?"

"Huh?" Kageyama scowled at him. But Tsukishima was having way too much fun today to stop.

"Takenaka-san, maybe you should cheer our King from the stands too?"

"Hmm, like Kageyama-sama!? It sounds kind of long." She made a deliberate pause." Maybe Tobio-sama then? Would you like me to cheer you on with Tobio-sama! during matches?" She asked Kageyama, breaking through her awkwardness.

"You don't need to do such things." Unexpectedly, he seemed flustered but pleased as well. Reina's heart squeezed. But she also panicked. What if Tsukishima saw his face now? He wouldn't let them live.

"Well, I guess. You're so focused during games you wouldn't have noticed anyway. Unless I would shout King-sama from the stands," she added quickly.

"No," Kageyama responded with the usual annoyance.

"Don't worry. I won't. I know that you hate it. Although if you were the King, that would make the Queen."

The atmosphere went back to normal. All the guys focused on the court. But Reina thought she should try calling him Tobio when they were alone. Well, if they were ever going to be alone again.