Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl Chapter 7

Reina was sitting in her window and watching fireworks exploding in the distance. Today was another summer festival. It was one of her dreams to dress up in a yukata and go to a festival with a boy she liked. Who would have thought she did just that 2 weeks ago.

When Kobayashi-senpai casually asked if she wanted to go to a summer festival with him and his friends, the only response she could think of was an eager "Yes!"

Miyako and Sawako were excited to join, Eri less so, but eventually, she tagged along. Kobayashi was accompanied by his friends from the basketball club and a sulking pretty boy, Arakawa, whom he introduced as his childhood friend.

The goofy basketball trio immediately went to try their skills at every game available. Miyako and Sawako had fun cheering for them and gracefully accepting every award the guys won.

"Oh, my... Those guys act like little kids again. Sorry about them." Kobayashi commented on his friends.

"How do you know so many people on the basketball team, senpai?"

"I used to play with them in middle school. But it became tedious and boring, so I quit."

"Oh..."

"I mean, I like basketball and I'll go to a match with pleasure. But you're young only once. I want to get the most out of it."

Reina nodded eagerly. She was working hard to enjoy her youth too.

"And when you're on a team, you spent most of your time training. Even now, when I dragged those guys here, all they care about is throwing things at a target."

Right, guys who are into sports tend to have a single-minded focus. Reina suddenly thought about Kageyama. She couldn't imagine him having fun out of the gym at all. Wait, why am I thinking about him now? Live in the moment, Reina. Focus. Isn't it the evening you've been waiting for?

"You... don't want to play any games, senpai?" She wouldn't mind joining the fun.

"Nah... I can think of more fun things we could do together." He smiled at her mischievously. "But there's no stopping them, so let's just continue on our own. Shall we?"

"Oh...Okay." She blushed. In a way, it was turning into a date. Or a double date. Eri and the pretty boy were tagging along in grim silence.

Reina followed senpai in anticipation. It was her first Matsuri ever! But soon, she felt overwhelmed. When he grabbed her hand to help her pass the crowd, she mainly worried about her hand getting sweaty. And when he nonchalantly touched her lips to wipe off the sauce from the food she was eating, Reina stiffened up. Shouldn't she have her heart fluttering, getting excited, blushing, or something? Why was she feeling just awkward?

Then Kobayashi leaned over her.

"It's getting crowded here. Do you want to go somewhere quieter? I know a place with almost no people around but with a great view of fireworks," he whispered to her ear.

Wow, we're going through shoujo-manga-like events with high speed. She wondered, however, if she could keep up with it.

She heard a loud slurping noise. She looked back. Eri and Arakawa were still in their company, still with gloomy faces. They were eating shaved ice, which they bought somewhere along the way.

Slightly panicked, she looked towards Eri for some non-verbal advice, confirmation, or who-knows-what.

"I feel an inexplicable need to catch some goldfish," Eri said and started towards the stalls. Arakawa waved her bye-bye and apathetically continued to eat his ice cream.