Haikyuu!! Tobio's Girl. Chapter 8

The summer break ended. It was September already. Morning classes were passing one after another as Reina was contemplating her predicament: she was in love with Kageyama.

She spent the rest of her summer break staring at the pictures she took of him playing. And it was only getting worse since school started. She could sense him coming into the classroom just by the weird pounding of her heart.

But when did it start? She was trying to figure it out. Was it because of what happened at the Haruko qualifiers? Or was it before, when she spent so much time studying with him? Or was it already at the first match she saw him play? He was so awesome on the court. But why did she go to see that match anyway? Wasn't she conscious of him before? From the first moment they met? Suddenly she remembered how Kageyama lifted her up in his arms. She almost fainted all over again at the memory.

"What's with your face? What are you thinking about? Tell me!" Eri came to her desk to eat lunch together. Apparently, Reina was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear the lunch break had already started.

"Me? I'm not thinking about anyone."

"Oh, is that true?" Eri said with a grin.

"The weather is nice. Maybe we should eat outside?" Reina said, trying to change the subject. She grabbed her lunchbox and hurried out of the classroom.

In the courtyard, she was mindlessly listening to Eri's chatter and staring at her own neatly packed bento without an appetite.

"So this is what the real thing looks like," she said while looking melancholically at a piece of carrot she finally picked up with her chopsticks.

"Yes, it's a carrot, a type of root vegetable. By the way, you're acting weird," Eri said.

"Not that." Reina put the food in her mouth and sighed. She didn't mean the vegetable, but an overwhelming feeling in her chest. It was not what she dreamed her high school love life would be. She was supposed to meet a cool guy, go on dates and have her heart flutter surrounded by flowers and rainbows. Not fall for someone who only cared about volleyball and dozed off at the mention of anything else. At this moment, she would even prefer a shoujo-manga-like dramatic love triangle. At least then, she would have a chance. But Kageyama and dating? That doesn't compute.

Without the immediate threat of exams and the Spring Tournament approaching, she talked with him less than ever. They barely greeted each other. And last time, when she saw him standing in the corridor with his teammates, he flat out ignored her.

She swallowed the carrot. It hurt her tensed with sadness throat.

"Eri, do you know what to do with one-sided feelings?"

"If you mean Kobayashi-senpai's feelings for you, you better think fast. It seems that he just noticed you."

Reina looked back to see senpai approaching with a smile. Ever since she started ignoring him, his interest seemed to double. It was getting annoying.

"Wha... you know what? I think I'll go and buy something to drink. See you back in the classroom." Reina grabbed her bento, jumped up, and rushed away.

She realized her mistake immediately. If she stayed with Eri, it would be 2 on 1, but now senpai could catch her alone. Why were her feelings so upside down? She should be happy that a popular and handsome senpai was chasing after her, right? Every girl in school fawned over him, so why was she so weird and preferred a volleyball dork instead? Maybe she should just go for it and accept senpai's advances. She was now annoyed, not even sure at whom.

But as she sharply turned the corner at the vending machines, her mood changed completely. Her feelings got much more complicated.

"Kageyama..." she said aloud when she saw him leaning on a railing, sipping his yogurt as usual.